ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
elevan said:
Man I thought my wife was crazy with the garden and herbs.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Found a GREAT smiley for you Elevan just don't kill me...
231.gif

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I made Garlic & Herb pork chops, Swiss Chard with Raisins and Pine Nuts and applesauce for dinner tonight.

It was kind of fun watching B pick through the Swiss Chard trying to figure out each component. He really liked it and was being quite the food critic tonight...good reviews ;)

On the other hand, K is still sitting at the table over an hour later not wanting to eat. Before anyone complains about me making them eat all their food...I give them very little to start when it's something new and they must eat it - then they can ask for seconds of what they like. K didn't like anything but the applesauce and is being stubborn about eating the Swiss Chard and pork chops. He puts a fork full in his mouth and then holds it there...and DH tells him to chew that it's not gonna melt in his mouth...so that it takes him 10 minutes to eat one bite. :rolleyes:

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Sounds like a yummy supper. :drool My boys are not picky eaters right now. They will usually at least try new things. Hopefully that keeps up as they grow up. :fl I certainly don't want them to be like my DH who is such a picky eater. :barnie

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds yummy!

I agree with the "picky eater" technique. I think if you cater to your kids food whims they will never learn to eat healthy. I make my boy try everything. If he doesn't like it he doesn't have to eat it BUT I will not make him something else. You eat what I serve or you don't eat. No snacks or desert unless you clean your plate.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you guys don't feed me.
The list of things I won't eat....is longer than the list of things I will.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Please do tell how do you preserve the basil seeds?? I have a ton of them in my garden and would love to save them. I take it you dry them and then plant them in the spring?? Right?? I always have terrible luck trying to save seeds, so if you have any good tips I would love to hear them. :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I let them (flower stalks) dry on the plant and then break off the stems and bring them in to strip them. I just keep the seed in the pod...there are 4+ seeds per pod. It's more time consuming to separate every seed. You can plant each pod and get a nice clump of basil - easy peasy is the way that I garden :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
About 6:30 this evening I heard the guineas making an awful racket outside. Thinking something was obviously wrong I headed out the back door. To spy 9 of the 10 guineas in the neighbors yard on the other side of a 6 foot high fence and the couldn't figure out how to get back. The 9th guinea was in the buck's field trying to figure out how the other 9 got over the fence. Argh!

So I grabbed a bucket of scratch and went their way, shaking it. They frantically started to run back and forth along the fence line....9 on the other side and one on this side. Guineas seem to be attached at the hip. Finally one figured out that s/he needed to fly up and over. Another 10 minutes went by before a 3rd flew over. And then the other 7 REALLY started to panic. At this time it was almost 7 and almost dark. I kept coaxing and finally the last 7 flew up and over. Now, I had to coax them out of the buck's field as their coop is in the main field. So this time I took to herding them toward the turkey coop and the gate with the tom turkey following me. I get almost to the turkey coop and Ranger (buck) comes running up and runs right through them sending guineas scattering. :rant So I herded them all together again and we headed for the gate, opened it up and now they were in the backyard...one more gate to go through.

I manage to get them to the main field gate and then decide to run the other way. So I opened the gate wider and went to rounding them up again. They're almost at the gate when Jerry (llama) started to come through it, so the guineas run the other way again. :somad I grabbed the feed bucket (which was empty) and hung it on the fence to distract Jerry and get him away from the gate. And finally, I manage to get the guineas into the main field.

So I turn back and go to let the turkeys into their coop...to find hen turkey on top of the coop. Does this surprise you? It shouldn't...you should have seen this coming. I opened the coop door and herded tom in and swatted hen off the roof. She takes off into the buck's field...so I chase her down and herd her back. Finally get her in and them locked up.

Go back to the main field...it's pretty well dark now by the way. And the guineas are next to the coop totally flipped out acting as if they cannot find the pop door. :rolleyes: So, I open the human door and shoo them in, turn on the light so I can do a head count, only to have Fluffer's chicklets run out to party. Get them back in and shut the pop door and the human door and do my count...short 1 hen. Count again...short 2. Count again...spot on.

I need to figure out how to positively identify the 3 guineas who are instigates flyovers so that those are the 3 that go to the processor next week. I have to say that I will be so glad to take in the turkeys, some guineas and some extra roosters.

An update on Fluffer's chicks - looks like I'm gonna have 4 roos and 3 pullets out of her clutch. Hoped for more pullets than that but as DH says, "roos will just go to the pot so it's all good".