ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Oh and yesterday they were gonna gang up on my Basenji and beat the snot outta him. Poor dog was out in the back yard minding his own business when they flew over the fence and en mass moved toward him. They all stopped right in front of him and he looked up and then went back to his business. The head guinea started yelling and they all rotated around to behind the dog. One more yell and they circled him and started moving in. I had to run out into the yard to save my 32# dog from a butt whooping or save the guineas from being dinner for the dog.

Guineas are crazy!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I dunno how many guineas I've sold and then the next year ppl. come back and buy more because theirs ran off, got hit, got eaten by 'yotes, etc. etc.
Guineas are 'job security' for me....they're too dumb to survive long as free rangers. We keep ours penned and they STILL manage to find tiny holes 10' off the ground and get out occasionally.

You just cannot count on them to do the 'smart' thing....ever.

Have you considered trimming one wing wayyy back on ea. of them. They'll still try to fly over, but it'll slow 'em down some....they're also too dumb to realize they can no longer fly.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I used to want a small flock of guineas.

I dont now. lol Thanks for the heads up.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I've trimmed a wing on each of them. I was afraid to trim it way back, but I might try that. I was told on BYC that the only way to really deal with it is to pinion one wing when they're day old, but even then they're gonna be able to fly some. :rolleyes:

When I said that I was tempted to call the processor back and say we were bringing 10 guineas and buy another freezer DH looked at me and said "But I like the guineas, I wanna keep some" :smack

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:woot

We finally found a workable solution with B!!! Daily reward of good behavior. Each day that he comes home "green" he is allowed to play a video game of his choice. We've done this for 2 days now (Friday and today) and he's been green both days. Today, he was so excited that he ran off the bus and was yelling halfway to the door "Mommy, I'm GREEN!". I'm so proud of him, he hasn't been green in school for over a month.

His brother gets a reward for being green for an entire month...usually gets to go out to eat. That process is too long for for B.

:fl that this good behavior keeps up.

redtailgal

Reaction score
YAY! :thumbsup

You can tell him that the crazy lady from BYH is PROUD of him for getting green! :bun :woot :weee :clap

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I just told him and he looked at the screen and said "Who is that? Do you know her name?" So, I told him your real name and your screen name. His response was "Oh. Thanks"

:)

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
I just told him and he looked at the screen and said "Who is that? Do you know her name?" So, I told him your real name and your screen name. His response was "Oh. Thanks"

:)
:clap for him and :yuckyuck

redtailgal

Reaction score
:lol:

I say ":fl for green tomorrow!"

If he will make green everyday next week, I will let him choose my next avatar!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
:lol:

I say ":fl for green tomorrow!"

If he will make green everyday next week, I will let him choose my next avatar!
He has accepted your challenge RTG :D

He's a budding photographer himself. I need to upload more of his pics (I've been a bad mommy on this). He has his own FB page , so we'll let him choose a pic from his own collection if he's green all week ;)

Latest posts