ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Yeah, I had that adult pox. It wasn't one bit fun.

Sorry you're feeling so bad. Hoping today's a better day for you. Has the other boy had CP yet?
K's actually had a light case before and B has had them twice. I had them twice as a kid and DH had them once (I don't know how bad though).

But apparently being around a child with chicken pox can cause adults a case of shingles...so :fl that that doesn't happen!

Thanks, I'm feeling better today. It comes and goes. I've been pushing my luck and eating real food at times that I should probably stick to toast :/ I should really just let my stomach heal but toast is so....blah.

On a critter note - I am so proud of my Basenji, Boingo :clap He went outside to potty this morning and while he was out there the guineas flew over the fence in the backyard. He just looked over at them and promptly ignored them! Yay! Good dog! Though that troop of 10 guineas could probably whip the snot out of him if he tried anything :lol:

We finally get a break from the rain (until about Monday anyway). So the goats are happily out and about this morning. I've decided to push off having hay even delivered until the last minute. I want to keep them on free food as long as possible and if the hay is here I'll be tempted to put it out. :rolleyes:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The last 3 solid days of rain, my goats have stood in the stall staring at me, I swear even making 'growling belly' noises, with big sad eyes, looking behind me at the 140 bales of hay that NEED to last them ALL winter.

I told them, "You will NOT melt."

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
The last 3 solid days of rain, my goats have stood in the stall staring at me, I swear even making 'growling belly' noises, with big sad eyes, looking behind me at the 140 bales of hay that NEED to last them ALL winter.

I told them, "You will NOT melt."
I don't know about that. Did you see the chocolate goat thread earlier?? ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The bucks take their butts out even in the rain - no way are they gonna miss a meal. On the doe side, everyone cries and complains except Maggie who will make mad dashes out to grab as many leaves as she can before running back into the barn...only to repeat over and over. It's pretty comical.

The chickens have been sopping wet for the past 3 days cause they won't miss a meal either and they are on free range too. But the turkeys holler to be let into their coop.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Elsie (goat) has an impacted cud :( DH went in to dig it out and got bit multiple times for his trouble. You probably could hear him yelling a mile away each time she clamped down. Hopefully we don't have to make a vet appointment to have it dealt with. DH was able to get almost all of it and we'll re-evaluate tomorrow evening.

Then at turn in time the hen turkey was on the roof of the coop - again. :rolleyes: I chased her down and then chased her round and round the coop. Then she slams into the gate (which I left unlatched) and is running around the back yard. So round and round we go. I was ready to turn her into dinner tonight by the time it was over. Finally I got a hold on her and got her put away.

Went to the chicken coop and did a head count...all in and accounted for. I decided to give the extra roos a feel since they would be easy to grab...wanted to know how much meat that they have on them. Not a lot of meat but maybe I can put up with them a little longer. Unless they bite me again like the first one did tonight...pretty hard.

I think we have 3 of 7 of Fluffer's chicks that are roos too.

Treated the quail to a sunflower head. It'll take them about 4-6 days to finish off.

A friend shared a sweet treat idea with me...I haven't made it yet, but I plan to this weekend.
I'll share with you and let you know later how it goes (with pics, of course)
Bake a yellow or chocolate cake (whatever your favorite recipe is or you can use a box mix).
While the cake is in the oven take a can of sweetened condensed milk, do not open, remove the label and place the whole can into a pan of boiling water, reduce heat to simmer and simmer the can for 2 hours.
When cake is done, allow to cool until milk is ready.
Milk will condense further into a caramel like sauce.
When caramel milk sauce has cooked for 2 hours remove, and open can and stir.
Use the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes in the cake.
Pour caramel milk sauce over the cake and then top with chopped pecan or walnuts (I'm going to use walnuts).

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I've got a butter cake in the oven, condensed milk boiling away in the can and walnuts on stand by. :D

Got chili in the crockpot for dinner...that along with some cornbread that I baked earlier is what's for dinner tonight folks.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
315592_2226758025999_1159251741_32080588_1411285046_n.jpg

marlowmanor

Reaction score
That looks yummy! :drool All I have here is leftover birthday cake from yesterday. We have gumbo for supper tonight. Our first attempt at it. It's pretty good actually. Of course it is seafood free b/c DH will not touch any type of seafood. Just finding a recipe that was seafood free was fun! It has turned out pretty good though.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Guineas are crazy!!!

We've been having on and off downpours all morning. I just had to have DH go out and "rescue" the crazy guineas! 7 of them had hopped the fence into the backyard and were trying to hide under a motorized car of the boys during a downpour while the other 3 who were still in the field ran back and forth screaming their heads off because they couldn't get to their 7 flockmates. DH grabbed the 7 on this side and "tossed" them over the fence one at a time. As soon as he had them all over the fence...it stopped raining!

Guineas are crazy!!!