ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

redtailgal

Reaction score
hehee, I was stalked by a lion once.

Seriously, in a gas station, I was stalked by a 4 month old lion cub. I was looking for something on one of the shelves and I had this weird feeling and turned around to see a labrador size lion crouched at me!

Lol, I wasnt as bad as it sounds. I knew the lion and his trainer. I had bottle fed this "little" one before and once wrestled with him........before he was big enough to eat me.

Still, even though I knew him........it scared the ummm, scours out of me!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The FULL blame on those animal's deaths should go to their owner (who released them and then killed himself).

Tranq'ing at night is dangerous and sheriff's officials aren't trained or equipped to handle it anyway. It took a while to get teams from The Wilds and The Columbus Zoo there. And they stand behind the sheriff's decision to shoot to kill. The risk to human life was just too great. A handful of animals were tranq'ed and sent to the Columbus Zoo.

Of the 48 animals that were shot and killed, there were two wolves, six black bears, nine male lions, eight lionesses, one baboon, three mountain lions, and 18 tigers.
The thing is that the only reason that they knew something was amiss was that residents began calling in sightings of wolves and lions to 911. If it had been a 1/2 hour later, then it would have been dark and sightings would have been less likely. I can't even comprehend what could have occurred had this been reported later with those types and numbers of animals on the loose. Any later in finding out what was happening and there would surely have been human injury or death.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I heard they had shot most of them. Not that the remaining ones aren't a threat. If I saw a Tiger or Lion while doing chores I would pee my pants.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
What surprised me (though it shouldn't have) was that they kept telling people that if they encountered one of the apex predators (lion, tiger, bear or wolf) NOT to run away. Well...duh, if you run they're gonna chase you and you're not gonna outrun them.

But yeah, pee my pants would probably be my first reaction too :p

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My reaction would probably be "Holy Crap! Maybe I do live in a zoo!"
Then I would probably pee my pants and run! (even though you aren't suppose to run). Fight or Flight? I am a Flight for sure! :lol:

I am happy to hear nobody got hurt. It could have turned out way worse. I am happy it didn't. :)

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
If they were in my area and I have to work outside everyday, I would be packing my boomstick.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It's getting scary in Ohio imo. About 6 months ago, a mountain lion escaped a garage where it was kept and that was only 20 miles from where I live.

About 2 years ago a black bear that escaped it's pen was shot by sheriff's deputies 1 road over from me (less than 2 miles).

I had a cousin who used to own a Bengal tiger, an African lion and a black bear. He kept them in those older wire type silos. Another cousin had an African lion that he kept in his basement. Both of those cousins lived in a small town here in Morrow County. They no longer have them.

They are very easy to obtain in Ohio. We have the most relaxed laws and the most injuries / deaths of any state. We also have a handful of exotic animal auctions in the state. Those things need to change.

In Ohio you may be more likely to encounter some of these animals in your field than you would in Africa.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Just something I liked and thought I'd share:

308377_215970995136118_211900302209854_555045_945395933_n.jpg

You all are beautiful imo :hugs

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ugh! K has chicken pox. :(

It's another rainy day here. So nothing going on outside. Guess I'll be cooped up inside with a little boy with too much energy who can't go to school.