ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
They have teams from The Wilds and Jack Hannah is there with a Columbus Zoo team. They are trying to tranq the animals and catch them. The sheriff's department will shoot to kill them.

It's a shame really. But more should have been done to prevent a person from owning almost 4 dozen apex predators. And then there's whoever opened those cage doors to release the animals.

eta: Here's the news broadcasts including the sheriff's press conference.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I live in Licking County. The local TV said no giraffes or camels were at the facility at this time, but Grizzly bears, black bears, tigers, lions, wolves and cheetah made up the 48 escaped animals. There is a picture on WHIZ tv website of a dead lion laying there. It make my heart ache to think that all of those animals will be shot through no fault of their own. They also said that that last time law enforcment was out at the property, the owner had all the legal permits in order. REALLY? Who needs 48 deadly predators - plus the apes and chimps found in the house? Someone needs to seriously review the permit process for exotic animals.

Animals were caged, but the perimeter fence around the property was not enough to hold the animals. That seems like a no-brainer to me. If his animals had been more secure, maybe, just maybe he would have been more safe and no one could have gotten in to harm him and let the animals loose.

The latest update at 6:50 was that 35 animals have been killed, captured, or accounted for. That leaves about 13 still out here.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Let me walk the dark side. This also could be a way for the State Government to alleviate your ability to farm exotic animals. Regardless of whether you are a petting zoo or family exhibit or touch farm. Regardless whether or not you have the permits. They may come back and reassess their regulations to make it very hard for you to farm any animals. Just be careful.

It is without a doubt a shame this happened. But then again, the State or County could make this an example of why they need STRICTER regulations on ANY animals.

Just be careful what you wish for. I know exotic animals need to be regulated, but if there are regulations on the books already, where was your Government? He had the right permits. Who inspected the property for the proper permits?

The whole thing sounds a little odd. Sad for the animals, but possibly worse for the future. For ANY animals. :(

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i am happy to report we do not have any tigers in our hen yard this morning. but the day isnt over.....

it sounds like there was some kind of malfeasance going on. but i think the sheriff is doing a great job containing the situation. apparently it had been a problem for a while and i'm guessing there is more to the story.

its a shame that the animals were shot but i agree that they had to put the public's welfare above anything else. the blame lies for this outcome lies with the property owner.

but how cool is it that the local kids had a day off school because of lions?!?

Ms. Research to your point this state just came out with a list of proposed regs for folks who work for a farm - they are ridiculous. you cant legislate common sense.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
This is what's being reported today: The owner opened all the cage doors and then shot himself...suicide.

There are still at least 3 animals loose...of them believed to be a grizzly, a mountain lion and a monkey.

They were able to capture a large amount of animals without having to resort to killing them. But it appears that the number of animals originally out was higher than originally thought...so it's possible that there are more than those 3 still loose.

Schools were cancelled. Mail delivery was cancelled. People are very worried...as they should be. I really hope they find those still loose before dark tonight :fl

BarredRockMomma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hugs and paryers to all of those in the area.

The kids will have a story for future generations, "I remember when we had an animal day at school, we got to stay home because of the lions, tigers, and bears....."

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
So now they're saying that it's just a monkey and a wolf that are still on the loose. (A wolf wasn't even listed in the "last remaining 3") :rolleyes:

They took down the grizzly and the mountain lion outside of an interstate exchange a little while ago.

A wolf is dangerous - but it doesn't concern me the way a grizzly or a lion does. And a monkey? Not worried about that one at all really.

What a crazy situation.

DH has been worried about a friend who lives 5 miles from the exotic animal farm and has been in constant communication via text since this happened last night.

I'm glad it's pretty much over.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That is ashame that most of the animals had to be killed. :(
I can't even imagine what it must have been like to look out your window and see a lion walking by! That would be quite frightening! :hide