ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

redtailgal

Reaction score
I could see it maybe if the crows had seen a hawk in the area and thought your hen was a downed hawk. I have heard of crows attacking and killing downed hawks, young hawks and even nestling birds. It's very rare.

From the aggression you are talk about these crows showing, I would suspect that they thought they were attacking a downed hawk.

You know that you have a flock of chickens, a gaggle of geese............and a murder of crows. seriously, that freaks me out.

That little hen of yours in in good hands! I'm sure she will be fine.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
You know that you have a flock of chickens, a gaggle of geese............and a murder of crows. seriously, that freaks me out.
Yeah, kind of freaks me out too. *shiver*

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Sounds like a Hitchcock movie. I watched a bunch of crows chasing a hawk around my house once and one of them flew straight through my house to head the darned thing off. It was the scariest thing I ever did see. In one window on one side of the house and out the other. I closed the windows.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
DH just went to check on Frieda and she's doing great. She headed back to the field and is happily hunting for bugs. She did not want to be held though when DH picked her up (normally she loves to cuddle). I hope this experience doesn't change her personalities.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
elevan said:
DH just went to check on Frieda and she's doing great. She headed back to the field and is happily hunting for bugs. She did not want to be held though when DH picked her up (normally she loves to cuddle). I hope this experience doesn't change her personalities.
How many personalities does she have?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I've always wanted a crow. Not so much to 'own' one, just have one around. Gorgeous birds. Sorry about your chicken...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
elevan said:
How many personalities does she have?
Oops! Meant personality. I have Happy Finger Syndrome or HFS :D

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
elevan said:
SmallFarmGirl said:
hope your chickens o.k !!!:(
I think she'll be fine. She's upset. Understandably. Resting in the barn and being watched over by my goat wether, Rocky who has decided he needs to guard her.

I just don't understand why they attacked her. I posted about it on BYC to see if I could get some feedback but everyone says that they love having crows around because they keep the hawks away. And no one has had a crow attack a chicken. I've never heard of it before. I just don't understand it...there are plenty of bugs, weeds and grass still out there...lots of worms even. :/
Though I've never heard of Crow's killing chickens, Red's comment on the Hatchling hawk made me think. Silkies feathers make them appear to be a hatchling hawk, when you think about it, the silkies feathers look like that fuzzy hatchling fur hawks and eagles have when just a few days old. Probably just mistaken identity but now you'll have to watch her.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
77Herford said:
elevan said:
SmallFarmGirl said:
hope your chickens o.k !!!:(
I think she'll be fine. She's upset. Understandably. Resting in the barn and being watched over by my goat wether, Rocky who has decided he needs to guard her.

I just don't understand why they attacked her. I posted about it on BYC to see if I could get some feedback but everyone says that they love having crows around because they keep the hawks away. And no one has had a crow attack a chicken. I've never heard of it before. I just don't understand it...there are plenty of bugs, weeds and grass still out there...lots of worms even. :/
Though I've never heard of Crow's killing chickens, Red's comment on the Hatchling hawk made me think. Silkies feathers make them appear to be a hatchling hawk, when you think about it, the silkies feathers look like that fuzzy hatchling fur hawks and eagles have when just a few days old. Probably just mistaken identity but now you'll have to watch her.
I looked at some juvenile hawk pictures for hawks in our area and I guess I can see where she might look like a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. (Oh, and she's a Polish - not silkie ;) )