ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We all have species that we don't care for and we can still be critter lovers. Some it's possum, some it's mice, for DH it's bats...there's always a story behind it though. There's not any one species that I truly despise unequivocally but those individual animals that show an interest in my critters hit my radar pretty hard. Every thing on Earth is here to serve some purpose and while we may not understand that purpose we should respect it. We do tend to put human emotions on animals that aren't there and that's something that I need to work on myself. What burns me up the most is that it's always the favorite animal that it happens to. But again that's my human emotions getting in the way of an animal doing what is natural.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
jodief100 said:
Crows are evil.......
So are some people....let's kill 'em all!

Sorry, but animals are animals, they do what animals do. We call them 'evil' b/c sometimes they remind us of us.

I'm not sayin' I'da been pleased had it been after one of my birds. But I wouldn't hate the species. It's not pleaseant to watch when anything is attacked or eaten - be it by a crow, a hawk, a coyote, or a raccoon.
I agree with you 100%. I was kidding around. As humans we make the often dangerous mistake of anthropomorphizing animals too much.

Humans are the only animal capable of evil. Animals do what their instincts and learned responses tell them to do to protect and feed themselves. Humans make a conscious decision to in their actions and will do unnecessary cruel things- that is true evil.

There is only one true sin, to unnecessarily harm another living thing
-Robert Heinlein

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Sorry, Jodie. I didn't realize that was a joke. Elevan, didn't mean to muck up your journal, either.

Sometimes on this board I feel like the perception is that ALL predators are the devil and I'm their lone defender.

'Cept for 'possums.

KILL 'EM ALL!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Roll farms said:
'Cept for 'possums.

KILL 'EM ALL!
You are severely misguided.

You will defend the crow population, but sic the masses on a cute little possum.

FOR SHAME.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Roll farms said:
'Cept for 'possums.

KILL 'EM ALL!
You are severely misguided.

You will defend the crow population, but sic the masses on a cute little possum.

FOR SHAME.
I think just about every critter is cute at some point...but not possums :/ There is nothing cute about them imo :p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Miss Flufferbottom is not right today :( When I opened the human door of the coop I got the usual stampede of chickens, guineas and ducks then went in to open the window that they use as a "pop" door. Fluffer was laying beneath the roosts in an odd fashion and all "poufed" up. I picked her up and check her over and didn't find any sign of injury. :/ She refuses to leave the coop. Last I saw she crawled into a nest box and is standing in it still all poufed up looking like she has no neck. She still hasn't regained her weight from brooding her chicks and feels so very light. Yesterday she was acting normal. I'll keep you all updated. But I hope she snaps out of whatever is going on :fl

redtailgal

Reaction score
GASP IN HORROR!!!!

Possums are adorable! You people are TWISTED!

Twisted, I say!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
*sending good thoughts for MFB*

I have a buff orp hen who's acting 'off'. Just all humped up / miserable acting.

I don't often think they Mother Nature goofed....but I'm pretty sure she did on the Opossum.
Rat tail? Mick Jagger mouth? Greasy ugly gray coat? Beady eyes? Eats rotten stuff? A habit of attacking Roll Farms' chickens?

And the fact that YOU think they're cute, RTG....well, I'ma have to rethink you now.