ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't update sooner. I laid down at 11a and didn't wake up until 3p. Feel like I could go back to sleep now and it's only 2 hours since I woke up. :(

She is a little more active but still sticking to the coop. I'm inclined to believe that she got bounced off the roost last night and hurt herself.

She doesn't need deloused but I suppose she may need dewormed. I'll get that done tomorrow. What's the best all around dewormer for a chicken?

I really don't think she's broody again.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
elevan said:
We all have species that we don't care for and we can still be critter lovers. Some it's possum, some it's mice, for DH it's bats...there's always a story behind it though. There's not any one species that I truly despise unequivocally but those individual animals that show an interest in my critters hit my radar pretty hard. Every thing on Earth is here to serve some purpose and while we may not understand that purpose we should respect it. We do tend to put human emotions on animals that aren't there and that's something that I need to work on myself. What burns me up the most is that it's always the favorite animal that it happens to. But again that's my human emotions getting in the way of an animal doing what is natural.
Yes, mother. :rolleyes:

redtailgal

Reaction score
I always wormed with Valbazen. I gave my girls about 1cc each, but they were very large hens........Jersey Giants and Giant Orps. My lil banties got .25 cc.

I did it once, and then again in 4 days.

I hope she is feeling better. I'm kinda attached to your hen. Weird huh?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Fluffer is like a dog to us...she's such a sweet heart. How could you not be attached to her?

Thanks Sunny and RTG. I'll get her dewormed tomorrow in case that's it. She wandered around a bit outside this evening before dark but is still off. :/

Tonight was fun...not. DH went out to put the poultry in the coop and called me on the cell to ask me to come out because he needed help. He was missing a couple of the hens and couldn't find the ducks at all. He found one of the hens hiding in the buck barn and I found the second hen hiding in the coop :rolleyes: Then it was off in the dark to search a 4 acre pasture for 3 ducks with flash lights. Usually when we say "Quack Quack" the ducks will answer even after nightfall...but not tonight. DH headed for the big pond and wasn't having any luck while I checked the barn. Then I headed for a small pond we have down by the pig shelter and saw them coming out of it and headed my way. But did they want to go into the coop? No way! We had to herd and dive to catch all 3 of them. I ended up with mud all over me - yuck!

Got cleaned up and headed for the market to grab a couple of produce items I wanted to wait til the last minute to buy for Thanksgiving dinner. But I cannot find oranges :( Gonna have to have DH check Walmart after work tomorrow for them. I need them for the cranberry sauce and the turkey.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Sounds like dinner ducks to me.
I really don't know what got in to them. They've been going right into the coop, but this time they decided that I needed to look like I'd been mud wrestling :rolleyes:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ugh! Awake at 1:40 am... that 4 hour nap did not do me any good :( My stomach is acting up again and I feel like I've got a hole burning through me. I'm beginning to fear that I'm not gonna be able to eat tomatoes or anything with them in it. That would really suck rocks. Gonna have to get some sleep cause I've got noodles to make, bread and pies to bake tomorrow.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
elevan said:
Ugh! Awake at 1:40 am... that 4 hour nap did not do me any good :( My stomach is acting up again and I feel like I've got a hole burning through me. I'm beginning to fear that I'm not gonna be able to eat tomatoes or anything with them in it. That would really suck rocks. Gonna have to get some sleep cause I've got noodles to make, bread and pies to bake tomorrow.
Do you use any meds for your stomach. I use Prevacid every day and probably couldn't live without it.