ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Em.

It's ALWAYS the favorites that get sick / hurt / die. The ones we don't 'care' about seem to live forever.

:hugs

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I'm sorry, Em.

It's ALWAYS the favorites that get sick / hurt / die. The ones we don't 'care' about seem to live forever.

:hugs
that is definately true, I wonder if my hubby will let me bring in my favorite goats and chickens into the house like he did on my cats? ;) :gig

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

We got the coop cleaned and disinfected just before sundown. Let me tell you that those chickens were not happy to have to wait for us to finish. It was so sad to see Fluffer's chicks huddled all together without their mama and not have Hilda chatting at me while I did a head count. Hilda's sister Helga was extra chatty tonight though.

I pray that we don't lose any more.

This weird weather that we are having I'm sure is not helping any. I was in shorts most of the day today and only had to throw on a lightweight coveralls to do the coop cleaning. It's almost December and we haven't had a hard frost yet :/

I'm really hoping to share some good news with you soon. We do have one exciting thing starting in the barnyard...but I'll keep mum for now on it so as not to jinx it.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Gee EleVan, hoping that miserable black cloud leaves you. You are so right. When it rains, it does pour. So sorry to hear of your losses on your farm. Especially the animals that touch your heart more than others. Hopefully you and your DH with all your hard work in the coop has stopped this nasty thing from spreading.

On the good news, don't blame you for being mum. Will look forward to hearing when you are ready to announce.

K

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Opened the coop door this morning to have every single chicken, guinea and duck run out at a full clip and spread out over the 4 acre field. Everyone in good health and good spirits. A sigh of relief left me when I realized that no one was sick this morning. We're not out of the woods by any means. We did have a day without illness between Fluffer and Hilda. Every waterer is medicated for the flock and they have waterers scattered around the field and barn/ coop area, so I hope to keep them healthy.

We normally use the deep litter method in the coop and the barn during winter. I think we're gonna nix that method in the coop this year...maybe the barn too.

I've got a migraine starting this morning. Wish noon would hurry up and get here so DH would be home. He'll take the boys and I can rest in the quiet. I've already taken a pain killer but it's not gonna help much as the headache is from another medication that I had to take for my stomach. When it wears off the headache will go away, until then I have to suffer through.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Glad to hear no one is ill. That's always a good thing. DH wants to know if the ones that have perished will an autopsy be performed and by whom. DH thinks it might be a strain of West Nile. I know there's not many cases inland, but it's was pretty prevalent in the Northeast coastal areas. Few people were even affected. From what DH has read about this virus, it is not transmitted by a carrier (crow) but a mosquito, and with the weather over the summer and extreme rain fall, DH would not be surprised.

I hope the autopsy if done, depicts the actual strain. Because now there are three or four different strains of West Nile.

So sorry to hear about your migraine too. Hopefully your DH will be home soon to look after the boys and you can get some rest. You have had a heck of month. So much stress and that will also do it too.

K

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Glad to hear no one is ill. That's always a good thing. DH wants to know if the ones that have perished will an autopsy be performed and by whom. DH thinks it might be a strain of West Nile. I know there's not many cases inland, but it's was pretty prevalent in the Northeast coastal areas. Few people were even affected. From what DH has read about this virus, it is not transmitted by a carrier (crow) but a mosquito, and with the weather over the summer and extreme rain fall, DH would not be surprised.

I hope the autopsy if done, depicts the actual strain. Because now there are three or four different strains of West Nile.

So sorry to hear about your migraine too. Hopefully your DH will be home soon to look after the boys and you can get some rest. You have had a heck of month. So much stress and that will also do it too.

K
Because of the holiday and the hours that the state lab was open yesterday and our distance from them we were not able to get Hilda there on time. They advised that she would not "hold over" until Monday in the way that they wanted her "preserved" and brought :/ So if we lose any during the week next week then we have to rush them down to the state lab.

Ohio has actually had several cases a year of West Nile mainly in horses.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry about all your losses and you headache! I hope you and the animals get better!

Also, I'm thinking about raising 2 turkeys next year for thanksgiving/christmas. Was it worth it? Were they easy to take care of? Thanks, D.o.G.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I'm sorry about all your losses and you headache! I hope you and the animals get better!

Also, I'm thinking about raising 2 turkeys next year for thanksgiving/christmas. Was it worth it? Were they easy to take care of? Thanks, D.o.G.
Definitely worth it! I free ranged 2 Blue Slate (a hen and a tom). They got turkey grower at first until the 50# bag was gone. Then it was straight free range with the occasional toss of scratch.

They were extremely easy to care for. I did have to wing clip to keep them from going over the fence though. But after that they were good.

We had the tom for Thanksgiving and it was THE BEST turkey I have ever eaten. And there was a ton of white meat on that heritage bird, so I see no reason to do broad breasted varieties unless you have a very large family to feed.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
elevan said:
Ms. Research said:

K
Because of the holiday and the hours that the state lab was open yesterday and our distance from them we were not able to get Hilda there on time. They advised that she would not "hold over" until Monday in the way that they wanted her "preserved" and brought :/ So if we lose any during the week next week then we have to rush them down to the state lab.

Ohio has actually had several cases a year of West Nile mainly in horses.
DH had to step out and do some errands, but I'll let him know what you wrote. He will definitely understand the time line on getting lab work done right away. I know he will echo my sediments and hope you don't have to rush over to the State lab with another one of your flock. Hope you and your DH caught it in time with all your hard work cleaning your coop.

Also, have to agree with the horses and cases of West Nile. Had a few cases here in New Jersey in the news as well. Poor horses.

K

Latest posts