ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That blows. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the majority of your birds can tough it out.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I'm sorry about all your losses and you headache! I hope you and the animals get better!

Also, I'm thinking about raising 2 turkeys next year for thanksgiving/christmas. Was it worth it? Were they easy to take care of? Thanks, D.o.G.
Definitely worth it! I free ranged 2 Blue Slate (a hen and a tom). They got turkey grower at first until the 50# bag was gone. Then it was straight free range with the occasional toss of scratch.

They were extremely easy to care for. I did have to wing clip to keep them from going over the fence though. But after that they were good.

We had the tom for Thanksgiving and it was THE BEST turkey I have ever eaten. And there was a ton of white meat on that heritage bird, so I see no reason to do broad breasted varieties unless you have a very large family to feed.
Thanks! I have an area to the side of my coop that i can separate them from my chickens. We also have some spare fencing to create a little roundpen for them in the lawn... Sounds like a deal! Hmm... We also have some leftover plastic roofing, and can probably get some old pallets/wood laying around to create a lean-to. Sounds like it will be an awesome adventure! My friend recommended Narragansett. So I think I'll combine with one of his meat chick orders and get a Narragansett and a bourbon red because I like their colors and they're heritage breeds. He also has a killing shed we can use. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
elevan said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I'm sorry about all your losses and you headache! I hope you and the animals get better!

Also, I'm thinking about raising 2 turkeys next year for thanksgiving/christmas. Was it worth it? Were they easy to take care of? Thanks, D.o.G.
Definitely worth it! I free ranged 2 Blue Slate (a hen and a tom). They got turkey grower at first until the 50# bag was gone. Then it was straight free range with the occasional toss of scratch.

They were extremely easy to care for. I did have to wing clip to keep them from going over the fence though. But after that they were good.

We had the tom for Thanksgiving and it was THE BEST turkey I have ever eaten. And there was a ton of white meat on that heritage bird, so I see no reason to do broad breasted varieties unless you have a very large family to feed.
Thanks! I have an area to the side of my coop that i can separate them from my chickens. We also have some spare fencing to create a little roundpen for them in the lawn... Sounds like a deal! Hmm... We also have some leftover plastic roofing, and can probably get some old pallets/wood laying around to create a lean-to. Sounds like it will be an awesome adventure! My friend recommended Narragansett. So I think I'll combine with one of his meat chick orders and get a Narragansett and a bourbon red because I like their colors and they're heritage breeds. He also has a killing shed we can use. :)
The only point that I was disappointed (and it may just have been individual personality) was that the tom tried to kill any chicken or guinea that made it into his field. We had to rescue several birds from him.

We kept the 2 in a coop that was a converted Playskool Playhouse. The only time they were in it was overnight and it worked great.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
elevan said:

The only point that I was disappointed (and it may just have been individual personality) was that the tom tried to kill any chicken or guinea that made it into his field. We had to rescue several birds from him.

We kept the 2 in a coop that was a converted Playskool Playhouse. The only time they were in it was overnight and it worked great.
Well the killing shouldn't be a problem because all of my birds are in pens/cages because of the foxes, hawks, skunks, and fisher cats around here :rolleyes:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
:hugs

just thought that maybe you could use a hug today
Thank you.

Just woke up from the crash landing I took after I posted on FB (thanks for that there too). But still have a headache so took another pain pill...I'll probably crash again in less than 2 hours :(

redtailgal

Reaction score
I was hoping that you would wake up full of grins and giggles.

I'm sorry that you feel bad, but after the week you've had, I'm not surprised.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I was hoping that you would wake up full of grins and giggles.

I'm sorry that you feel bad, but after the week you've had, I'm not surprised.
I had hoped that I would be full of gins and giggles too. Usually headaches don't last like this but yeah, it's been a stressful couple of weeks.

I'm starting to get dizzy and loopy so about to make another crash landing.

Latest posts