Ginger's kidding thread

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Your highs are in the 70's :th !!!!...our high today was 18... And this upcoming week is going to be colder :tongue :he

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BrownSheep said:
Your highs are in the 70's :th !!!!...our high today was 18... And this upcoming week is going to be colder :tongue :he
I'm sorry, that's really cold! The saying in Texas is that "if you don't like the weather, wait a little while, it'll change." And it always does. We can have huge extremes in a single day. It'll be in the 20s in the morning and by afternoon it can be almost 70. Crazy, huh? The good thing about Texas is weather won't stay the same for too many days in a row, except in the summer and we have lots of 100-degree days in a row, as many as 60 to 70. It gets really hot here. We don't complain too much about the cold here, just the heat.

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yeah in the summer I wish I could steal an ice berg cus it gets so stinkin hot. The older I get the less I tolerate these extreme heat temps.
I feel bad for the critters during the summer.

Back to Ginger, how is the momma doing? Hope to see pics of her & some healthy babies. :fl :fl :fl

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
That's the saying here too :rolleyes: . We should warm up next Monday to back in the 30s. We are a pretty constant mid90s in the summer.

:fl Hope ginger hold off till is warmer....except I want baby goat pictures right now!!!!

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just and update, but no babies yet. Sigh.... We just did something to her that would upset any expectant mother into starting labor; we separated her and Trixie, her daughter from last year, and Ginger is in the kidding pen. They are probably no further than 20 feet away and I am listening on the baby monitor and they are both just calling to each other in earnest because I know they hear each other. It's just about to break my heart, but it had to be done for everyone's safety. This is the first time they have been separated since Trixie was born. Wwaaahhhhhh! Sob, sob, sob......:hit

Anyway, in feeling ligaments today I felt mostly spine and not much of anything else, but no other signs. The weather warmed up to a balmy 50 degrees today and was sunny. I don't work again until Tuesday and tonight would be a good night for her to kid with it being warmer and it not hurting me too much to miss out on some sleep, but of course that's up to them babies at this point. Could I be so lucky in that they would be born tonight? Probaby have just a good of a chance of winning the lotto.....:barnie:he:idunno:hu

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Still nothing concerning babies. But I had one really pissed off momma (Ginger) trying to butt the door down in an attempt to get to Trixie because she could hear her crying for her (see post above concerning separating them for the birth). She actually banged the door hard enough to break 1 of the 2 latches on it. Bruce happened to be gone at the time so I was all by myself and not sure when he would be back, and I was torn between trying to keep her in and going after Trixie and putting her in with Ginger to calm them down. I ended up going and carrying Trixie around to the garage, needing to pick her up and put her down a couple of times in order to open all the doors on the way to taking her to Ginger. Now this is no easy task for me considering my chunky matronly size, but once I put my mind to something I do it, and this was no exception. Of course she threw a fit the entire way making it that much more difficult to get her there. She refused to walk with me leading her by the collar. I've not taught either one to follow on a lead yet, but that will be getting worked on really soon here. I was really worried that Ginger would hear her cries and bust down the door completely and I would have an angry, charging goat hit me as I opened the door to the garage before getting to the pen she was in, but thankfully that didn't happen. Anyway, as soon as I put Trixie in with her mother, her mother butted her a few times like she was angry with her, but then they both settled down and started eating alfalfa together. The've been happy ever since. Whew, what an ordeal. :rant When Bruce got home he and I put 2 sets of brackets up on either side of the door frame and put T-posts across them to keep the door baracaded. I'd like to see her break that down, but you what, I wouldn't put it past an angry mother in being able to do it! :he

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just checked on the girls and Ginger is doing just fine. Darn! Bruce says that Ginger must have some mule in her because she's being so stubborn about having these babies! Grrrrrrrr! I have a quilt bee meeting tonight and I almost hate to go, because you know she'll find a way to kid while I'm gone and Bruce will have no idea what to do to help if needed. I'm sure he will do fine and I can get home in about 30 minutes, so it should be okay. Later......

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Forgot to look at Ginger's udders this morning when I checked, but went back out and checked a second time today and they have indeed "boomed" since last night! Her udder is actually sticking out some behind her legs now, whereas yesterday they weren't. We are getting really close now. Yeahhhhh! :woot