Goat Milk Soap

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can't make soap without lye. We ahve been making for a few years and selling it for about 2 yrs and can't keep up on it--We will start the fall with at least 1000 -1500 2 oz bars and 1000 to 1500 4 oz bars, not to count the cute shapes and ornaments. Then there is the homemade clothes soap with goats milk soap in it. Most of the time we do HP --done in the oven because once it is done, it is done and with a quick turn over, we can replenish our supply quickly. i hear that you can take pour and melt--but that is a petroleum by product or glycerin-I do see that some use melt and pour and add goats milk to it-- I am making pumpkin soap sometime this weekend with pumpkin cutouts for a fall swap in one of my soap groups.

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
Many people don't realize that bar soap is made with sodium hydroxide and liquid soap is made from potassium hydroxide.

The chemical reaction of fat and lye (saponification) changes it to soap. You will see on a commercial bar of soap the ingredients sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, sodium palmate, etc which is what the lye fat combo becomes.

lye+lard=sodium tallowate
lye+ coconut oil = sodium tallowate
etc.

There is no longer the ingredient lye in finished soap, because it has changed into something else.

That is a simplified explanation of course. :) Hope that helps.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
good jpb on explaining the process--I am sooo long winded (don't mean to be, but I get toooo technical) ;)

momto5lilrascals2angels

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know most bar soaps were made with lye but there was a site and I can't remember off the top of my head where they were making goat's milk soap without it. Of course that type didn't have to be cured. I even bought some soap off of someone, it was Hannah's Hideaway or something along those lines and she didn't use lye in any of her soaps and they were so creamy and rich. I just thought maybe someone on here had a similar recipe. I'll have to do a little searching and find the recipe that she used. :/

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Must be a melt and pour---if you look up the ingredients of melt and pour, one may as well buy store bought soap. jmo. Our GM soap has goats milk from our goats that we milk ourselves, we use lard, coconut oil or palm kernal flakes, olive oil or sunflower oil, sodium hydroxide (lye) there are no chemicals in the unscented or the soap scented with essential oils. we do use fragrance oils and essential oils. some of the soaps have other natural oils inclucing tea tree oil. I know some people don't like HP soap, they think it is ugly, but my customers don't mind it--we have many people with exzema and other skin conditions that buy it 20 and 30 bars at a time, so they don't run out. One mother had her son to dermatologists, she had to fight him to wash his hands, take a bath, even the products that the doctor prescribed had some alcohol and other chemicals in it that burned him. We told her that we didn't think this would cure it, but she jsut wanted something that didn't burn him when he took a bath. Our soap doesn't burn him, so although it doesn't heal him, it doesn't burn him, so he does heal. My DIL's mother had such terrible exzema on her hands--horrible--this is the only soap she gets-she won't try anything but unscented, but she has a bar each shower, each bathroom sink, kitchen sink and at her downstairs bar area. These are only a few people, I am anxious to try the liquid soap--but may as well order enough potassium hydroxide to make it pay--but maybe this month some time, it not only takes the potassium hydroxide, but bottles and pumps for it and that is another expense.

http://www.fssoapworks.com/faq.html

the ingredients in the Melt & Pour Soap
Simply Ultra Clear Soap Base

Bleached Deodorized Coconut Oil, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Stearate,Glycerin ,Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Sucrose, Triethanolamine, Aqua (purified water)

Simply Opaque White Soap Base

Bleached Deodorized Coconut Oil, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Myristate ,Sodium Laurate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate ,Glycerin ,Propylene Glycol, Triethanolamine ,Titanium Dioxide, Aqua (water)

Colored Melt & Pour Soap Bases

Bleached Deodorized Coconut Oil, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Stearate,Glycerin ,Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Sucrose, Triethanolamine, Aqua (purified water) ,FD&C Dyes

Simply Goats Milk Soap Base

Bleached Deodorized Coconut Oil, Sodium Cocoate , Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol ,Triethanolamine ,Goat Milk ,Titanium Dioxide, DMDMHydantoin (preservative , Aqua ( PurifiedWater)

Simply Olive Oil Soap Base

Olea Europea Fruit Oil (Olive Oil), Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laurenth Sulfate, Triethanolamine, Aqua (purified water)

Simply Honey Soap Base

Bleached Deodorized Coconut Oil ,Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate ,Glycerin ,Propylene Glycol ,Sucrose, Honey, Triethanolamine, ,Aqua (purified water)

Simply Avocado Cucumber Soap Base

Bleached Deodorized Coconut Oil, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Myristate ,Sodium Laurate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin ,Propylene Glycol, Sucrose ,Triethanolamine, Aqua (purified water), Avocado Oil, Cucumber Extract

We can't use these chemicals ourselves, so we don't sell anything with these chemicals in it. We also have an oatmeal and honey soap, one with coffee grounds as an exfolliant. When the oils are saponified, we have only natural ingredients--except for those that have fragrance oils in it. We now have rose hips steeping in oil to use in the soap, the lavendar this year didn't do so well, so I don't know if we will have lavendar in the soap. I would be interested in seeing the recipe :)

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Could someone suggest a good book on this? Also i don't have my goats yet so where could i find powered goats milk?