Goat Milk

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have to buy goat's milk when I'm able to get it. And I drive WAY out of my way to get it fresh and raw from the farm (for pet use of course :rolleyes: and then somehow we end up drinking most of it ourselves--stupid laws). It really doesn't taste strongly of anything except MILK and really good, sweet, milk-the-way-milk-is-supposed-to-taste milk. And I don't even like milk. But I like raw goat's milk.

I remember trying goat's milk as a kid and thinking it was :sick. Now I realize there are many things that can make goat milk that way--a buck in with the does, onions in the pasture, poor hygiene during milking, etc. But when it's good, it's GOOD.

One downside we've discovered, however, is that it does turn faster than cow's milk--even raw cow's milk. After a few days in the fridge it starts to gradually take on a "goaty" aroma that eventually becomes a "goaty" flavor and before long it's no good to drink.

But it doesn't usually last long enough to get to that point.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank God we can still buy and sell fresh milk in NH!!! I think it is a crazy law!! But any whoooo??

I think you should give it a try!! Fresh goats milk is delicious and healthy for you!!! Nasty taste from fresh goats milk comes from uncleanliness, diseased udders and stuff like that.

Like any animal that you gonna use..you must keep them healthy and happy and they will produce a lovely product! ie..farm fresh eggs or store bought eggs. BIG differance..I cant eat a store bought egg anymore. I think they are sooooo nasty. My friends call me the "egg snob" Cause if I did'nt get it out of my henhouse..I wont eat it! :gig

But find someone who raises dairy goats and give it a try!!! Also as stated..there alot of uses for goats milk if you find you dont like drinking it!!

Good luck on your quest!!! :frow

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Seriously the best ice cream I ever had was from goat's milk. My kids aren't too excited about us having goat's milk in the fridge, but they still talk about the ice cream. They can't wait!!!!

They will change their minds about the milk once we actually start getting some in the fridge, I am sure! It is just hard for the human mind to embrace change, sometimes.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As Benjamin Franklin said: We know God loves us, because he gave us goat milk.

I only regret I didn't have it when I was young.

DonnaBelle

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have both dairy goats and cows. To me they taste a lot alike except the cream raises on the cow's milk. I would never go back to the store milk again. I always have something milking all year long. Right now, I have milking two cows, but by the end of March I will be milking some of my goats as well.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have found any goat milk that reaches a boiling temp or a very high temp is HORRIBLE!!!! Or if it is older than three days. Fresh it tastes NO different than cow's milk!

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Even fresh raw goats milk can taste nasty under certain circumstances. In order to have the best tasting milk it's a good idea to follow these rules.

Keep bucks away from the girls
Keep a clean environment. If you don't you are more likely to not only get sick from your milk but also it will taste funny.
Brush down the goat and wash her udder before milking.
Cool milk as fast as possible. I keep my jars in the freezer, and after straining the milk into them they go back in the freezer for an hour.
Feed: the more sweet things they eat the sweeter their milk will be. Although my girls ate a diet with just a very small amount of grain with a tiny bit of molasses no hay and lots of birch leaves and wild rose leaves for a month or two before I bought any hay and their milk will still wonderfully sweet.
Breed can also matter, but even with a breed that doesn't produce the best tasting milk, it will still be very good if the conditions are right.

I do blind tests too. My mom gets some excellent raw cows milk (wonderful tasting!) and when I compare them the only way I can tell a difference is that my goats milk is sweeter.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
fudge.gif

fudge.gif

fudge.gif

4hmama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are in WV and have Nigerian Dwarf goats. The milk is richer than cow's milk, but it is good. My son (12) had soccer friends over one night, and at breakfast the next morning, the boys wanted to try goat milk.... Long story short - I had really small bathroom cups, and they did 'goat milk shots' for breakfast. Before the morning was over, they drank 2 quarts!

We did have a buck in with one of our girls, and her milk was AWFUL...while he was in there. If you know what a buck smells like - imagine milk that tastes like a buck smells. YUCK! Otherwise - it's good.

ND's are great because they take up very little space, the feed/milk conversion ratio is good, and they are really easy to handle. If you are interested in nigis - let me know...I'm in WV and have babies due beginning in March. You can also look up nigi info and see our animals on our website - www.jchmountainfarm.com

FYI: If you add chocolate syrup to it - it tastes just like melted chocolate ice cream! ;) ..and you can't go wrong with goat milk fudge!

WV_RoyalWhite

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I found a farm in PA that sells Raw Cow Milk and they also sell Raw Goat Milk from a neighboring farm. I bought a pint of the goat milk and a gallon of the cow milk. The cow milk is delicious. However, the goat milk tasted goaty. I did let it sit for two days in the fridge before getting the nerve to drink it. SInce this farm doesnt produce the goat milk, it may not be as fresh as their cow milk, hence the goaty taste.

I'll look for a closer farm in my area who may let me try some goat milk.