Good Morning!--Chat thread

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
thewife said:
Now that I am worn out, the sun decides to come back out!
I wanted to go for a walk, but I don't want to put my boots back on!
Could clean the kitchen, but that would require standing up again!
To much like work at the end of a long busy day! It'll wait!
My thoughts too!

Besides, Hubby just started dinner, I wouldn't want to get in his way!
Buffalo steaks, mushed taters, gravy and green beans!
Gotta love him!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mashed potatoes with a gravy of cream of mushroom sauce with hamburger and greenbeans mixed in for supper here tonight.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I ate too much, now I reeeeeally want a nap!

I still need to feed Smokey and check heifers!
Just how important is it to feed Smokey on a schedule?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Just how important is it to feed Smokey on a schedule?
If you mean 12 hours apart feedings, not very important. You can very it. Mine get feed in the morning around 4:30 but it's usually about 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon when they get fed.

Straight had her calf---it's a bull-----and----black & white, I believe. He's really new and still wet. I will post pics later today after he has a chance to realise he has come into the world.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Good morning

Don't know why I bothered to check my weather online, when all I had to do was look out the window! SNOW?
Since rocks and cow pies can look about the same when covered with the white stuff, I guess I won't bother trying to do any land clearing today.

Thanks Kitty, if a 12 hour schedule is really important, poor Smokey doesn't stand a chance! I have been trying to keep it close, but it just never seems to work out that way!
Congrats on the new baby!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It could be a bit difficult trying to clear land when it's under snow. At least you know your's won't last long. Ours may not either as it seems they are calling rain for tomorrow and then late in the turning back to snow. So it will disappear and then come back. Ground is frozen either way. :rolleyes:

Smokey will do fine even with her feedings off the 12 hour schedule. Has she decided to eat grain on her own yet? Or is she being stubborn yet?

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I kinda wish our ground was fozen! Instead I play the "what's under the snow" game! Is it mud, water or solid ground! This is "supposed" to be the last day of this ####. "Supposed" to be reaching 56 by Friday?

Smokey is a freak of nature! I watch her butt her grain dish so hard, she steps back and shakes her head, then she goes right back and butts it again? She is nibbling on her grain, but not eating it as much as I would like her too.
Should I get her a bale of alfalfa?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Should I get her a bale of alfalfa?
I don't generally feed hay until they are on their grain good. Of course mine are dairy cattle but, I would think you'd want to do the same. It's to get their stomach's working.

Here's WRB's explaination from another post that I like real well and asked if I could put on my Misc. Info page.
Explaination about why we feed calves grain by WildRoseBeef:

From an Animal Scientists' perspective (at least an undergrad An Sci's perspective), grain is best for developing the calf's rumen. In comparing milk, grass (or hay) and grain, grain is the feedstuff to use because of its energy and protein content which aid in developing rumen microflora and the lining of the inside. Ever seen the inside of a rumen? It looks like shag rug, with these papilleae (not cillia, like that found in the small intestine) for absorption of nutrients and other functions. Grain is also more coarse than grass or hay or milk, which also helps in getting the rumen to really start working, contracting and building in size as the calf grows.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
morning all i had a busy weekend.went to an equipment auction sat to get tom an i away from the farm.then stayed swamp sun.got offered a job to rake hay all summer.an work for a buddy.an do some shredding an stacking hay.but id have to buy a tractor.