Here we go again, she's screaming...

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, does banamine cause drowsiness? I gave her a slightly larger dose than she would need (because I figure she's dying anyway) and now she's calm and sleepy.

She's very peaceful now, no longer panting but her heart rate is still about 175 bpm.

Now that she's no longer screaming I figure she'll pass on peacefully or she'll snap out of it when the drugs wear off or she'll be worse when the drugs wear off?

I'm debating if I should take her to the vet on a saturday night (and pay twice as much) or if I should go back to plan A and see how she does over the weekend?

Now that I am able to manage her comfort level we're not really in a dire emergency anymore.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ive never seen it work like that? But who knows when there is a heart condition involved???

Hang in there. Its so hard when it comes to this point. :hugs

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are going through this. She is so lucky to have you. She has known love and care. You have done everything possible for her.

Banamine does help calm animals. It could be that she isn't in pain and therefore feeling sleepy. I really hope things work out for you. She sounds like one special goat. :hugs

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just took her temp. Its come up a bit but still low, 98.3. Her heart rate is still super fast, her respirations are more normal and she's not panting anymore.

I gave her some warm water with molasses a few hours ago, so she's hydrated. She's wrapped in a blanket and she's in a heated room.

I still have to wait for the vet to call back since only the answering service is in on the weekend. I don't think I'll drag her to the vet's office on a weekend evening since she's not in any visible discomfort at this time.

If she makes it the weekend, I'll schedule an appointment next week and we'll see what the vet suggests at that time. I was ready to give up, but now that she's peacful, I'm hanging on to hope. I don't want to lose her, she is such a special girl.

Thanks everyone for all of your support.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your support. The prayers must be working. She's on her feet eating and drinking and pretty much her old self besides a little lethargy that I can only assume is from the banamine and/or sheer exhaustion.

I put her sweater on her in case temps drop tonight, but its pretty warm here, the frogs are chirping tonight. She's in a horse stall with fresh thick straw bedding, water, a bowl of sweet feed and a flake of horse hay. She's gobbling down both her hay and grain. I'd be willing to bet that she'll be back to her old self by morning.

How many more times is she going to do this to me?

Her episodes have ranged from lasting only a matter of seconds (where I thought she was just choking, to a few minutes, to an hour or so and today was the worst... taking all day to come around and quite a bit of drama in the meantime.

She's no longer suffering and I can't put down an animal that isn't suffering. I don't know how I'll be able to guage when the time has come to let her go? I guess I'll only know that when we get there. But for now, my little girl is going to be okay!