Here we go again, she's screaming...

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That all makes sense. I'll see what the vet says.

I used to have a dog that had seizures. He did the typical fall down, go stiff, shake and sometimes pee on himself. There was no treatment for his problem and there was no pattern to the episodes either.

I'm just glad that we've eliminated all contagious illnesses at this point, that's a relief. I wouldn't want this condition spreading to any of the other animals. I can manage a physical problem, whatever it might be.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
If you decide to look into seizures and ask for Phenobarbital then have your vet call in the script to a (human) pharmacy instead of getting from the vet's office - you'll save yourself 50% in cost I guarantee it!

Good luck with your girl!

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
If you decide to look into seizures and ask for Phenobarbital then have your vet call in the script to a (human) pharmacy instead of getting from the vet's office - you'll save yourself 50% in cost I guarantee it!

Good luck with your girl!
I'll do that! I have him call it in to my husband. He's a pharmacist!

I just made another trip to the barn to check on her. Its raining and she's inside with the rest, just chewing her cud! She's next to her favorite LGD. He's flat on his back with all four legs spread. I wish I would have had a camera for that one! :lol:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
J'ever notice you *never* have the camera when the animals are being cutest??

We had a dog who had seizures the last 8 yrs he was alive, the phenobarb did wonders for him...greatly reduced the frequency and severity.

hermityfarmer-women

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the goat aspect of this but we did have a dog that did have a similar problem. Her episodes progressively got worse over several years and then she never did come out of one and we had to have her put down. It was terribly sad, it was like the lights were on but nobody was home at the end. One thing that everyone needs to remember is that animals don't anticipate death and worry over it like we do, but they do know suffering. So even though its and excruciatingly difficult decision if you think she is suffering during the episodes, it might be her time. I hope that didn't come out as being insensitive, I have just known many people who held onto suffering animals because they themselves couldn't handle the death, and I don't think thats fair. But until her episodes become extreme I think you can enjoy some great time with her. And think about the life you gave her, she is happy and rescued! :hugs

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For the most part she's fine 95% of the time. She hasn't had one of these episodes since before Christmas and never has them at all during spring and summer.

I'm going to watch her this summer and see which weeds she prefers to eat and research what medicinal properties they might have. Perhaps she's self medicating during the summer?

There is one type of weed that occassionally turns up in a bale of hay or two and she seeks out that particular weed. She's the only goat that does that. I can't figure out what kind of weed it is though because its dried?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
An Ag extension person might be able to help you sort that out or point you toward someone who can.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
dianneS said:
For the most part she's fine 95% of the time. She hasn't had one of these episodes since before Christmas and never has them at all during spring and summer.

I'm going to watch her this summer and see which weeds she prefers to eat and research what medicinal properties they might have. Perhaps she's self medicating during the summer?

There is one type of weed that occassionally turns up in a bale of hay or two and she seeks out that particular weed. She's the only goat that does that. I can't figure out what kind of weed it is though because its dried?
my girls will occassionally eat mullein(aka: Aaron's rod). I am not sure what they are attempting to fix by eating it, but every once in a while they go nuts for it.

hermityfarmer-women

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dianneS said:

That would be a good thought, maybe a nutrient that she gets more in the summer. I hope you are able to figure it all out. I wonder if an allergy could make it worse too. We had a cat that had seizures when she had catnip. Took a while to figure out because you would assume all cats can have catnip:p.

MsPony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Animals self medicate all the time. I purposely add in certain weeds/plants to pasture mixes so if needed, they can medicate. I'd carefully look at what she's eating, plant it all over and also dry some for winter. If its a native plant then you can go foraging I'm sure. I used a dry flower/weed herbal mix in the winter for my horse since everythings dead.

Glad she's better!!