How bad will it be?

racuda

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have two wethers. Well, actually it looks like we have one wether.

I don't think the Burdizzo worked on Nicky, and I did it twice - again after 4 weeks and the testicle didn't seem to be shrinking. Now I have an 9 month goat with one small testicle.

My brother in law brought a female goat over and Nicky squirted his beard and mounted her. He has also developed a little bucky smell.
Personality-wise Nicky is the sweetest goat I've seen. He loves to be petted. He never jumps on us or pushes us. He was bottle fed from 4 weeks to 3 months.

Introducing the female was a one time event. There will be no more females with them, just my two boys. How bad will it get when Nicky grows up to be a full grown buck?

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Dunno about one testicle, but with two testicles our bucks are VERY smelly (although very friendly..!) We're sort of used to it though and they're sort of mandatory in a breeding herd. :)

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't know but... could you have it surgically removed? It cost us about $50 each for our two goats. It was VERY traumatic for them, so I would definitely try the banding the next time instead, but if that failed, I'd probably go with the surgery.

I've been around bucks before, and they were extremely unpleasant smelling. We live in a neighborhood, so a buck is simply not an option.

Another option would be to go ahead and let him grow up, see if he is manageable, and if it gets so bad you can't stand it, have him surgically fixed at that point. I'm not sure what the ramifications of wethering an adult buck are, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Good luck!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
This is why I band, and won't burdizzo...

I'd find someone with banding equipment and finish the job.