~Livinwright Farm's kidding thread~ 2 preggers does... hopefully :)

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Livinwright Farm said:
Well folks, looks like Cali is setting up to go either tonight or tomorrow night.
Her teats are plump & shiny, her udder(though small) is quite stretched(not really shiny, but I see more skin than hair), her eyes have that disoriented/sick/tired look, she pants a lot when she lays down, she lays down a lot more often, and she is picking the thickest/fluffiest spot to lay down.
:fl :fl :fl
My last doe did that for a week!
okay, haven't you ever heard, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? :smack :lol:

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
When I last checked on Cali, 12midnight, her ligs were roughly 1/2 gone... and she got up to walk about 2 feet, squatted to pee, and stayed squatting for a minute after she was done peeing... hope to either wake up to her ligs completely gone & her in the beginning of contraction(preferable, so we can record the first goat birth on our farm) or for her to have kidded the doelings safely on her own...(yeah, wishful thinking, but really hoping for doelings!!!). :fl :fl Come on May Day Babies!!!!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
No babies yet, her ligs are a little further gone than they were at midnight... If I were to give a fraction I would say about 4/5... she is out in the yard, and picking odd places to lay down.. like nestling in between rocks. :rolleyes:

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Go Cali! Go Cali!

19.gif

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Well, I finally heard back from the woman we got Momma, Maude, Marly, Pup & Cali from.....
Here is what she wrote:
"Hi there,
Thanks so much. Those pictures are so cute. They look wonderfully fat, healthy and happy. You had quite a first winter with them so much snow !!.
Who was the papa? Okay, here is the deal. Yes, the kids all have the same Dad.
Momma and Maude are sisters.
I did not get them from an auction house. The rip on Maude ear is from a dog bite! When she was in heat she picked a fight with our dog, really, and he had no chance but to fight back. She pinned him to a wall and was butting him mercilessly. Seems she was mad he wasn't a billy. Other than that one time they always got along llke the best of friends. He tore a hole right threw her ear and then ran for the hills."

So much for any of the babies not being inbreds.... well... actually... if Marly is Momma's nephew... is that technically inbreeding or is it considered line breeding? And how does that work for Cali's kids? Since Marly would be their father & Uncle...???
No matter how you slice it, we now NEED to get a Nigerian buck & some additional Nigerian does to widen the genetic pool. Hope these babies aren't born with 5 legs!

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:hide Uh oh! That's not good. Definitely needing some new blood in your herd!

I wouldn't worry too much about 5 legged kids :lol: - I don't think one "oops" will give you too much trouble. Just make sure if you retain any kids, they don't get bred back to a close relative. Some people inbreed/line breed to bring out a certain good trait(s), but usually it is very selective (unless they have no clue, then that is when you run into problems).
I had a pygmy buck/doe pair that I started out with. He bred the doe through the fence before I got them, and she had trip does(one died during birth though). When the kid I kept was about 4 months old, she hopped the (4 1/2 foot) fence and bred with her father. Kids came out normal - almost too nice - but I stopped the line there and sold the whole herd.

Good luck with all of that!