~Livinwright Farm's kidding thread~ 2 preggers does... hopefully :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Well...inbreeding can and does happen and shouldn't be considered a complete disaster...you've got a 50/50 chance of inherited problems being increased...I wouldn't think you'd see 5 legged kids though ;)

Personally if it were me, I'd get a new buck and either wether or sell Marly.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
Well...inbreeding can and does happen and shouldn't be considered a complete disaster...you've got a 50/50 chance of inherited problems being increased...
What makes it a 50/50 chance? Genetics isn't my strongest subject and I'm having a tough time wrapping my brain around how that would work. Can you elaborate?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Well...inbreeding can and does happen and shouldn't be considered a complete disaster...you've got a 50/50 chance of inherited problems being increased...I wouldn't think you'd see 5 legged kids though ;)

I would wether Marly & Pup, but my Mom wants to keep Marly intact to keep as a stud for people who just want to freshen their doe/does in the fall... she is hoping that we can find someone willing to work a trade(stud service for the kid/kids) :rolleyes: I would prefer just to trade him for another buck/buckling.
We are keeping our eyes open for any free to cheap does/doelings and bucks/bucklings(NEED horns intact!)... hint Hint HINT to anyone in NH, VT, MA, or ME that wants to give me a really early b-day present!! ;) ;) ;) :lol: :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
elevan said:
Well...inbreeding can and does happen and shouldn't be considered a complete disaster...you've got a 50/50 chance of inherited problems being increased...
What makes it a 50/50 chance? Genetics isn't my strongest subject and I'm having a tough time wrapping my brain around how that would work. Can you elaborate?
Inbreeding is like a toss of the coin...hence why I said 50/50...not actual math sorry. Sometimes you'll get good results and sometimes you'll get something less than desirable, especially when you don't know the full lineage of the goats involved.

Recessive genes are more likely to show up with inbreeding...which is why unless you know quite a bit about the lineage of the 2 that you are breeding you really shouldn't knowingly go there. If you have all the information for let's say 5 or more generations back (10 generations is better) then it's entirely possible to inbreed for specific characteristics.

eta: Linebreeding, however, is a much better method when you need to breed relatives.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Back to Cali:
About how long from when her bum looks swollen and her pooch looks all swollen & puckered could I expect the heavy stuff to begin?

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
n.smithurmond said:
elevan said:
Inbreeding is like a toss of the coin...hence why I said 50/50...not actual math sorry. Sometimes you'll get good results and sometimes you'll get something less than desirable, especially when you don't know the full lineage of the goats involved.

Recessive genes are more likely to show up with inbreeding...which is why unless you know quite a bit about the lineage of the 2 that you are breeding you really shouldn't knowingly go there. If you have all the information for let's say 5 or more generations back (10 generations is better) then it's entirely possible to inbreed for specific characteristics.

eta: Linebreeding, however, is a much better method when you need to breed relatives.
I understand the purpose and risks of line breeding/inbreeding, etc... I was just wondering where the 50/50 odds came from.

I don't have the foggiest about actual heritability percentages either, but I disagree that it's as random as a coin toss. That's what linebreeding is all about... increasing the odds of the progeny inheriting desirable characteristics. It's going to increase the heritability of any particular trait the parents possess, dominant or recessive, good or bad, because closely related animals are going to share many more similarities in genotype than unrelated animals.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
elevan said:
n.smithurmond said:

I understand the purpose and risks of line breeding/inbreeding, etc... I was just wondering where the 50/50 odds came from.

I don't have the foggiest about actual heritability percentages either, but I disagree that it's as random as a coin toss. That's what linebreeding is all about... increasing the odds of the progeny inheriting desirable characteristics. It's going to increase the heritability of any particular trait the parents possess, dominant or recessive, good or bad, because closely related animals are going to share many more similarities in genotype than unrelated animals.
Inbreeding and Linebreeding are not the same thing (though similar).

I agree with what you've said about linebreeding wholeheartedly. However when you just have a random act of INbreeding like Livinwright Farm had then it really is a toss of the coin.

Livinwright Farm - Can't really say for sure...could be tomorrow...could be another week...

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
elevan said:

I would wether Marly & Pup, but my Mom wants to keep Marly intact to keep as a stud for people who just want to freshen their doe/does in the fall... she is hoping that we can find someone willing to work a trade(stud service for the kid/kids) :rolleyes: I would prefer just to trade him for another buck/buckling.
We are keeping our eyes open for any free to cheap does/doelings and bucks/bucklings(NEED horns intact!)... hint Hint HINT to anyone in NH, VT, MA, or ME that wants to give me a really early b-day present!! ;) ;) ;) :lol: :D
Keep trying! :lol: I already told you my requirements, but after all the damage he has caused, can't let him go for free...(seriously, what animal goes through the side of a $*#% barn?!)
My freezer is calling his name (as well as the neighbors offer of a bbq after the he gets his fire permit) :gig

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Livinwright Farm - Can't really say for sure...could be tomorrow...could be another week...
Well, I can guarantee you that it won't be another week! This precious little girl has until Wednesday night to get those kids out. If she hasn't had them by Thursday morning, she will be taken to the vet an hour's drive one way from me, and we'll let the vet decide what the best course of action is for her.
I do not want Cali going too far beyond a week past due. With how young and small she is, if the kids get too big, she won't be able to pass them. Better to bring her up for an extraction, than to require an emergency extraction and not be able to get her there in time to save her or the babies.