~Livinwright Farm's kidding thread~ 2 preggers does... hopefully :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
PattySh said:
I linebreed my cocker spaniels and I use aunt/nephew breedings often. I have enough years into my lines that we don't have hidden recessives lurking. If you do line breeding can accentuate the bad as well as the good. Depending what the recessive trait is you can multiply it with terrible consequences. Line breeding defines your "type" and is a good method at least with dogs. I haven't gotten that far with my goats. I feel that like breeds like, if you have defects you will definately see them in close breedings.I wouldn't intentionally breed brother and sister but with unknown history breeding is kindoff a crapshoot starting out. Depends on your plans. For us we bought grade goats and are breeding for the milk. I have history on some of them. Obviously we don't want sickly kids or goats with defects. I am breeding for small size, easy to handle docile homestead goats that are easy to milk and milk well. So my plan was to breed to Silas our Alpine/Togg then breed his resulting doeling offspring to a new male. If I was dealing with purebreds I am sure I would attempt to breed to breed specification and entertain linebreeding and if I had pedigrees (like the cockers) I love to dabble in colors, with the cockers I had alot of fun establishing a line of chocolate, nice chocolate by infusing black to strengthen the color and coat texture.
That is what I have been trying to say (bolded)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Now, let's move past the genetic hijack...sorry Livinwright!

Come on Cali!!!

:pop :pop :pop :pop :pop

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the kid(s)is going to be little and cute no matter what........unless it gets here full grown lol. I actually wouldn't worry about the health of the kid. Your goats look very healthy . I was just making the point that I wouldn't continue to breed them together on purpose. Come on Cali!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
PattySh said:
Well the kid(s)is going to be little and cute no matter what........unless it gets here full grown lol. I actually wouldn't worry about the health of the kid. Your goats look very healthy . I was just making the point that I wouldn't continue to breed them together on purpose. Come on Cali!
Oh, trust me, we had not intended on them breeding last fall.... but we hadn't gotten the stalls finished in time... This fall we plan on breeding the girls to a completely unrelated buck. ;)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had a HUGE accidental breeding when my daughter had her pygmies. My angora buck broke out of a 6 ft chain link enclosure and into their 6 ft chain link enclosure!! Took both gates down. Within one nite he bred several, I forgot how many but I think at least three pygmies conceived that very nite. The size difference was huge so we were some worried. It all turned out good tho and the resulting pygoras (called them mutts then lol) were totally cute. Most of them were chocolate like the angora and a couple of blacks. Sold them as pets.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Well, we are considering bringing her up to the vet today instead of on Thursday... we need to drive 2.5 hrs away tomorrow, and I just don't feel comfortable with us going so far away where she still hasn't kidded.
I want to know from the vet that her babies are still nice and strong, and that she could safely go through labor without us being here. Depending on what he finds, he may choose to induce her... which, as long as the babies are developed enough, is FINE with me! I will update once we know more.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I would strongly urge you to not induce her. Unless you are 100% sure of her breeding date, you risk inducing early and you'll lose the kids. I know you're worried about her being overdue, but she'll kid when she's ready. Going to day 158 is really late, so I'm doubtful this is really day 158.

Heck, I wanted the vet to induce my ewe this year when she prolapsed right around her expected lambing time. The breeder SAW her be bred, but luckily the vet said he wouldn't induce. It's a good thing too, because she was actually bred a heat cycle later and didn't settle on the breeding the breeder saw.

Unless you hand breed and you know with 100% certainty that the buck had absolutely no way of breeding her after the date you saw, then I would not induce.

Latest posts