Look what we had in our pasture Sunday morning!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a visitor Sunday morning. They were out in our heifer pasture as we were setting up to dehorn the heifers.

Trumpitorswan.jpg

Trumputorswanflying.jpg

TSwithsandhillcranes.jpg

The sandhill cranes we have until it's migrating time but, the whooping crane is different. There has been a group that have raised them and taught them to fly south in the fall and then north in the spring using an ultralight plane disquised as a huge whooping crane. I don't know why this one is with the sandhills and not the rest of the group but, it sure was neat to see it!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
wow those are some great pics.i bet you was surprised to see the cranes an whooping crane out in your pasture.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not the sandhill cranes--those darn things are there from spring to fall but, the whooping crane surprised us. I snuck down to take the pics and then when I was back up by the barns they flew off. Made a loop and came back right over me. I was so excited that I'm surprised the pics aren't blurry!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
How cool!

We have Herons along the creek! When the fields flood, we get honkers and ducks!

mullers3acers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
About a week ago we had a Blue Heron in the field in front of property. It's the second one in the 12 years that we have lived here.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've been seeing blue heron scattered here and there for a couple years now. It sure is good to see these birds coming back.

They said on the news today that this is the 8th year of the whooping crane project here.

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We stood outside this morning with my 2 yr old DS and watched a large formation of canadian geese fly over. They were loud. The honking set off my own geese.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do your tame geese ever try to fly off with the Canadian geese?

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They never try to fly at all. Probably because they are much too big. Think turkey sized.