Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shame that the pasture person was not up on pasture grasses for sheep. Bermuda is ok but sheep do prefer broadleaf and mixed grasses.

Ulf Kinzel of White Clover Farm has written a ton of articles about proper types of pasture for sheep. While he is a White Dorper breeder in New York state, he is very knowledgeable about pasture grass, etc.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shame that the pasture person was not up on pasture grasses for sheep. Bermuda is ok but sheep do prefer broadleaf and mixed grasses.

Ulf Kinzel of White Clover Farm has written a ton of articles about proper types of pasture for sheep. While he is a White Dorper breeder in New York state, he is very knowledgeable about pasture grass, etc.
I’ve read his articles, but they really don’t apply to the hot humid temperatures of east Texas. He talks about grasses that would pull up roots and hitchhike back to New York!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We get the same thing here for pasture management for cattle... they get into the chemical controls of the "weeds" without ever talking about how to manage the soil so that it is less hospitable to weeds and more for the "desired" grass or hay species being grown. Gets my goat (pun intended). Glad that you had a good time otherwise.....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score

Sidebar Ulf is also well know for a type of herding very similar to what I do.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeding Season 2023 Started!
-I've been busy this morning! Split the herd so Aria, Mocha, Oreo, Shy Lady, and Panda are in one pen. I ran e-fence for a new paddock for them to graze. I had to use the push weed wacker to make a path for fence since grass was so tall. These ladies are Breeding Group 2.
-The other pen has the remaining Oklahoma 5. I will run another paddock for them after lunch.
- Snicker's marking harness arrived but I bought the wrong crayons. I ordered COLD <70F by accident, reordered for this evening HOT 80F+ since daytime temps are already upper 70Fs with occasional 80Fs. At least I noticed before opening the package?

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So Snickers has been dressed up and led to meet his ladies. He was raring to go. They aren't interested yet.
20230416_204705.jpg