Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop I'm tilting at windmills as usual. NO ONE shows Katahdins around here. I will check before spending money but I've had to explain multiple time that "a Katahdin is a hair sheep, like a Dorper" and "No, Mocha is not a goat."...🤦‍♀️

The Dorper Chisholm Trail Association been most inviting. Cassandra is mostly doing the peewee showmanship and there are a few shows that list "Other Registered Breeds" class or "all others with MW". The show this weekend would be perfect except I'm going to have FUN and see @Baymule. Mocha is in age range for 2tooth and I'll obviously check her mouth.
326182048_479846690806267_4364685364764275230_n.jpg341038259_250355570769324_8307304482633097113_n.jpg341029557_1248097412478361_3629225979875182054_n.jpg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I assume that you have your children added as youth members in the Katahdin Breed Organization. To be honest, the best shows for her at this point will be youth shows through youth organizations like 4-H and FFA. Those organizations often have access to/or put on "junior shows" that are not authorized by the breed associations. By authorized I mean that the organizers of these small shows do not apply for or pay for breed authorization. Any ribbons the kids win are just for fun. These small shows are for the purpose of letting the kids show their animals and practice showmanship. Sometimes they are advertised in the local newspapers or by the County agents. Another way you find out about them is when your kids are members of the youth organization since they will be advertising the show to all clubs.

To find County Fairs with breeding shows for youth and/or open shows, try finding the counties surrounding your area to which you are willing to travel here is a website: 2023 Texas County and State Fairs, and their events.

When are the dates of your County fair, and any surrounding Counties' Fairs! Chec wth these shows for their ivestock catalogs which will be on line. In most of them entries in the breeding shows for all species are open to all youth while the market shows (and auction) are only open to youth enrolled in local clubs. Once you locate a County Fair catalog check the entry requirements and rules for the breeding shows to see if your daughter can exhibit.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Posted too soon -
Since Katahdins are a recognized and registerable sheep breed, she will be able to enter and show in the "All Other Breeds" sheep breeding classes. And, of course, in showmanship. If you can find a local 4-H club, or FFA that is age appropriate, then I really suggest you enroll her in that club. The club project leader (for sheep) should hold showmanship classes at least for the market kids before Fair. Even the market showmanship classes will be helpful.

I wish we were already living in Yantis :hit I would love to help you both. :hugs

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
And your point is? I haul water from the house all winter. Of course is it only about 2.5 gallons a day and the animals have heated waterers I just refill. ;)
😜 I will be working smarter not harder. Some 12V DC heat tape, a battery, solar panel, and some insulation will keep my autowater tote working.
Heat tape
Reflectix