Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
The harness looks good. Remember to change crayon every 2 weeks with different color. Since you are checking the sheep every day, you will be able to write down the date they were covered. Changing the crayon color is in case they recycle.
I have orange, blue, and green. Orange is on now. Which is darker blue or green?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Transhumance grazing is also mentioned in Brenda Negri's books about LGDs. His many articles are full of good information.
I've actually worked with the gal who has done more than a ton of research on French style herding. She developed the "French Course" trials for AKC with the Belgian Sheepdog Club of America. I've run and judged both the AKC courses (C -- the thing Ulf does, and the French) and run the the AHBA Large Flock course (may have judged that as well - forgot if I did). There are differences between all of them What we actually do here on the ranch is very much "French style" as we do not have the required furrows for C -- and I'm not going to put any in :) !
The breeder of now all of my dogs was here a year ago and got to see how we work - now she's moved from Belgium to Spain - and there's a shepherd that takes his flock down the road near her -- the same way she saw her dogs here work. :)
I'll have to check out Brendia Negri's books !!! Always learning.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snickers and his group are out grazing. His last home was electric fence (high tensile). So far he seems respectful of the polybraid.
20230418_082843.jpg

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snickers let me adjust the harness and check crayon. It's definitely been rubbed but I don't see any marks on the ladies... Tomorrow night I may switch from a HOT 80+F to MILD 65-75F crayon.

He is a feed hog though. Shoving all the ladies out of the way. I will try clipping him to fence with his feeder away from the girls to reduce the dinner time chaos.

He also did this. Frustrated no more food? Itchy head? Just because?
Snickers vs feeder

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo was a feed hog too, also tag Cooper with that nickname. No chivalry at feeding time! Both loved their ears rubbed.

I have a ewe, BTX 1901, that will “ask” for head rubs by rubbing her head on my leg. Vigorously. 💝

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
This marking harness stuff is a little more complicated then I thought. The soft crayons are marking well on Snickers knees but the yellow and orange don't show up on the buff colored ewes! Should I switch to my last mild crayon, purple? Do you go off day time average temp or night time average temp?