Our Spring/Summer Show Season is Underway =) Nationals Time!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Wow! The beards on those senior bucks!!!! Holy cow! I can't help but imagine how much pee those beards can hold.....only having owned youngster bucks..... :p

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I can't help but imagine how much pee those beards can hold.....only having owned youngster bucks..... :p
:lol: LOTS! :sick Took at least 2 baths each buck to get them to an acceptable odor level haha

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
So when we shear the boys, we should leave their beards? I was going to shear everything. We are doing linear appraisal in August so I need to shear everyone.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yes, leave as much beard as you can...from a "goatie" on the chin to the full jaw depending on how much beard each one has...

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but I am curious...at what outdoor temp range is it okay to clip them? My milkers have clean(ish) udders, but since they are new to us, I really want to see what's under there...I assume in my climate (Pacific NW), we really need to wait another month or so...?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
We're still getting lows in the low 40's high 30's and I clipped almost a month ago...when it's chilly they hang out bedded in the straw and are fine. Ideally, wait until it's warm enough at night for you to go outside in a t shirt.

You can always just do a dairy trim...udder and belly. I do those all winter.

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. How short do you trim when you do the belly in a dairy trim? Our lows are just now not hitting the 30s anymore and are consistently in the mid-low 40s, with highs in the low-mid 50s and occasional 60s. So, I will wait to do the full body another month I think, but the udder/belly sounds like a good idea to me. How far forward on their belly do you trim?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nicely done on all those wins! They're beauties! :weee

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great show results, Kate. Congratulations!!! On Rider, trim his feet the next time up to his knees and he can't puff up so much when he goes into the ring. :lol: Bad, bad boy!