Our Spring/Summer Show Season is Underway =) Nationals Time!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
We took every Grand and Reserve available to the Nigerians at the show :celebrate

OA Princess Wolfgang was GCH ND Milker
LawrenceCoDairy11034.jpg

HM RS Pigeon was RCH ND Milker
LawrenceCoDairy11031.jpg

HM F Hannah's Last **one of the preemies and not even 2 mos old** was GCH ND Junior
LawrenceCoDairy11069.jpg

HM BBB Tambora was RCH ND Junior
HoosierSpringClassic2011138.jpg

HM F Flame's Phoebe was 1st place 2 month old Junior Kid
LawrenceCoDairy11045.jpg

HM M Dulce was 2nd place Yearling Junior Doe (HEAVILY preggers!)
No new pic

Oh, almost forgot,

WF HMG Loira was 2nd place Recorded Grade Nubian 2 year old Milker as a 2 year old FF!
LawrenceCoDairy11004crop.jpg

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow!! Fantastic! I can't get over how teeny those goats are. How much does the average doe weigh?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Do you plan to show Blue Bella in milk in the future to get more legs?
Yep, you betcha. Now that we have the milking machine, we can keep a larger # of does in milk for the shows!:D

RabbleRoost Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't show goats, and congrats on your awesome wins (it really is cool to get so many! :D), but I wanted to ask... Is there a reason for the incredibly sloping backs on some of these goats? Do I just think it's exaggerated because I don't show and don't know the standard for these guys?
I always thought that straight was what you were going for, so they would be good and strong for years to come and wouldn't break down with the stress of everyday goat life. Maybe I'm thinking in meat goat terms though.
Anyway, not trying to pick a fight or anything, just wondering why I see so many show goats that almost look like some German Shepherd show dogs, lol. I guess inherently, showing animals tend towards extremes... I know with Boers, people are going for long thin necks (among other things, this is just one example) in an effort to make their goats appear longer, but really, where's the sense in that? There's no financial justification for skinny giraffe necks, because you just lost that much more meat off the animal and Boers are a meat breed to begin with.

So, please help me to understand! :bow

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Their backs aren't normally sloped. They are just standing in that position. You want a nice level back on a goat.