Packing with Goats

Ibicella

Just born
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody here goes hiking/packing with their goats. My finance and I love to hike and camp, and we are hoping when we get some good wethers to take on camping trips with us. Does anybody else do this?

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is easy to pack with goats ... bring hay and let them fill up before setting out or their only interest will be eating ...they are goats and born to eat. You can use a large dog pack and a good halter and lead is a must.... pack water for them and a canvas folding drinking dish... Have fun !!

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hike with my whole herd, and they love it. I've got one fat old milk doe with bad hocks whom one would think would just want to lay around all day in the sun, but she hates being left out if someone is walking. If we walk towards our hiking trail, she runs to the fence crying! It's funny watching her shuffle along with that big udder bouncing around, but she loves it.

We're going to build some packsaddles this summer when we get the time to do it, and start teaching them to pack with those instead of just a soft dog pack, and also to drive in harness. I let mine follow me loose right now, except for one stubborn girl I have who wanders too much, she has to be on a leash. They do wander around and eat some, but they will not let me get out of their sight. If I went on a public trail, I would have them all on a rope though, for safety. We have a dry creek bed that runs for several miles through our rural neighborhood, it belongs to some people but they don't care if anyone is on it, so everyone in the neighborhood uses it as a trail.

You will want to spend some time getting them used to things they may see on a public trail--horses, dogs, motorcycles, bicycles, gunshot noise, cars, crossing a stream...I don't know what is normal in your area, but where I live, any of these things may happen on a walk and you do not want your goats panicking over a strange thing and running in all directions during a hike. I think it is good for goats to learn to pack, it gives them excercise so they do not get overweight and helps to strengthen their bond with their handler.

Kindred farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I also hike with my goats...thought I was the only one. Just like Ariel's herd, my girls do not let me get too far ahead of them. I only hike the trails behind our neighborhood (we all share the trails). I really think they enjoy it, and honestly they listen better than my dogs.

luvmycritters42

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We walk with our goats on the trails through our woods and we have taken them out on a hike once when they were about a year old.... They are good about staying close, but the problem I have is that they want to be the leaders and push past me to get in front of me. (And then stop and block the trail while they nibble) Any tricks on getting them to have better manners and walk behind me?

Lil Chickie Mama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
luvmycritters42 said:
(And then stop and block the trail while they nibble)
:lol: Love the picture in my head (though I'm sure it's annoying for you)! :lol:
What are the rules for things like that? I doubt I'll ever take mine on a hike just because there isn't much around here and the few places I could drive to I'd be afraid of other dogs that aren't leashed thinking they are a snack. I would love to take them on walks around here though, wouldn't that be a sight? :p Can you take them anywhere a dog is allowed?

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm lucky. We have a few miles of state land trails at the end of our street as well as trails that go through ours and our two immediate neighbors' property. Our trail goes on the high banks of the Rifle River (of cussin' canoeist fame back in 1998) and through plenty of brush and trees.

Can't wait until spring!

BTW, has anyone gone trail riding on horseback with goats following? Can they keep up with a normal horse walk?

rebelpride

Just born
Reaction score
BTW, has anyone gone trail riding on horseback with goats following? Can they keep up with a normal horse walk?

I had 3 goats, (if I didn't stall them when I went trail riding) they would follow and stay right with the horses.

Kindred farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My goats are afraid of my horses, so I leave them at home when I ride. But I would imagine if they were regularly pastured together and familiar with each other, the goats would follow. I am sure they could keep up with a regular walking pace of a horse though. They would most likely stop to munch and then run to catch up, so make sure your horse isn't spooky. Anyone else?