Roll Farms - Herdstock is over, and I'm feeling hung over, lol

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Got some stuff accomplished, although it's sloooow going in this heat / humidity.

A/C put in the bunny barn. Now DH thinks it "needs" to be 68 degrees, I say 80 is plenty cool enough. We don't want them growing / blowing coats right now!

Finished the flower bed makeover....and (hopefully) got it watered in well. They are calling for rain and cooler temps later this week, thank goodness!

The landscape fabric I put over the peppers in one of the raised beds turned to dust (apparently they mean it when they say it must be covered w/ mulch) so I recovered it w/ plastic. Working w/ black plastic on a hot sunny day is NOT FUN.

Went to the cemetary yesterday to trim bushes / plant flowers for DH's day, and took Fiddles w/ us. He had a series of horrible seizures we're blaming on the heat. I started melting ice cubes on him and holding them in his arm pit and he settled down. I hate to see him like that.

DH has to work a few hrs today (watering greens.....no rain in 3 wks makes a golf course look BAD) but then he's coming home and we're going to spend the morning cleaning stalls in the new barn so we can put Chaos in w/ a couple does. I have 2 doelings reserved for November, he'd better hope he's making does and not bucks this year. Also going to move Tiger (black Ob buckling) in w/ the 2 Ob doelings only, taking A Capella (Nub) and Valentine (boer) out of his area. They're more likely to cycle / get bred than the Ob girls are and he's already practicing at just over 2 mos. of age.

Weaning Valentine and the 2 Ob does today, the screaming will be heard for miles.

Fixin' to go out and pull some small weeds coming up in a couple flower beds til he gets here.

Have a great Memorial Day and try to remember to say a few words of thanks to those who've fought for what we have.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Poor Fiddles!

Its really hard watching them go thru that.

:hugs

(another good way to cool a dog down is to wet their feet and ears)

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't get to the weeds because DH came home earlier than I expected....

But.....we got 3 stalls cleaned out and all the 'old' hay moved so that when the new hay comes, we're ready.
Chaos is in w/ his 'wimmins' and the Obs are in their pen. Acapella and Valentine won't.shut.up.
By noon it was 94 degrees and we quit for the afternoon. I took a nap and then we grilled some porkburgers. Now I'm full and it's time to feed but I don't wanna.

Fiddles may have epilepsy....probably does. :(
He hasn't been officially diagnosed. He had his first BAD seizure after his puppy shots, and has had maybe 2-3 a year since then. Vet says that's not often enough to warrant the phenobarb yet. He LOVES to go 'bye-bye', LOVES to visit his brother at MIL's house, and LOVES to run around at the cemetary....we think it was just all too much excitement, combined w/ the god-awful heat yesterday.

Our last black poodle (Tuddles) had seizures the last 10 yrs he was alive and was on PB for most of his life.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
My lab had epilepsy. She had certain triggers and an exciting day seemed to be one of them. She also had them more often in hot weather. So you're probably on that. Ask you vet if you can get liquid phenobarb to keep on hand. A drop or 2 when he has a seizure will lessen the severity and the potential for damage for him and it doesn't need to be given daily, it's more of a "rescue".

Our vet has seen a huge increase in the amount of dogs who have seizures over the years. In talking with him about it we kind of suspect that the stuff in commercial dog food is the culprit. Most dog foods have corn in them, many as the first ingredient. You can bet your last dollar that the corn is GMO too. I really don't think it's any wonder that Americans and their pets are getting sicker along with expanding our waistlines.

Off my soapbox now. Sorry. :hide

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I got the beds weeded last night after we started getting a nice breeze going.

It's RAINING. :weee

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I got the beds weeded last night after we started getting a nice breeze going.

It's RAINING. :weee
Its still 28 c or 82 f here and going to be another hot one. Pleased for you Its RAINING and hoping to get some here soon - well begging and doing a stupid rain dance actually :lol:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Every morning for weeks I've been watering and watering and no time to post pics. It's raining today soooo...here are some I've been saving for a while. :)

A 'before' shot of the bed I redid. I didn't like the tallest iris (purple and yellow) and the short plants that had taken over the area. My mom had given me a start of it years ago, turns out it's actually a weed of some variety....anyway, I wanted it gone.

iris-1.jpg

A shot of the 'weed' in bloom, and all the root chunks I dug out, in the wheelbarrow.

pweed.jpg

What it looks like now: DH repainted the wagon wheels, black iris, a purple clematis, strawberries, Autumn Joy clematis and daylillies, more iris, Passion Flower, and the zinnia bed.

redid.jpg

This is a relative of a hollyhock, maybe called, "False Mallow".....It went CRAZY.

mallow.jpg

What the 'long' bed is looking like, as of yesterday.

longbed-1.jpg

A couple of pitiful pictures of Fiddles, during his hair cut and after his bath. I have to put his ears up in a ponytail holder to see to do his face.....

fiddlestrim.jpg

Fiddlesbath.jpg

Some of the piles of feathers that led me to believe the cochin hen was gone forever....

feathers2.jpg

feathers1.jpg

One of the peppers being watered by the drip irrigation system I put in all by myself

drip.jpg

My next project.....the daylilly bed....UGH....

daylillybed-1.jpg

Some of the 782 gazillion Rose of Sharons in the front yard.....Seriously, if anyone wants starts at herdstock....just say so....

ROS.jpg

I know I'm not spelling it right....bouganvillia

bouganvillia.jpg

My 'chicken bed'....

chickenbed.jpg

Loving the colors in this pot

pot-1.jpg

A "cammo moth", aka Pandora Sphinx

PandoraSphinx.jpg

OK, this is my garden 13 days ago:

raisedbeds516-1.jpg

This morning:

rb529.jpg

We have peppers!

jalapeno.jpg

CRSpepper.jpg

And cukes!

cuke.jpg

And I keep forgetting to show you our potatoes

taters.jpg

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You must spend 2 or 3 hours a day, watering. I love potted plants, but I am too lazy to do all the watering. I always appreciate someone else who is willing to work that hard. Sorry about the lost chicken.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
But...she wasn't lost....it only sounded and looked that way. She escaped and hid out, but was fine the next morning. Wierd!!

20K, are you going to try to come to Herdstock? You could pick up some new Silver Fox bloodlines.....