Roll Farms - Herdstock is over, and I'm feeling hung over, lol

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Awesome pictures. I think you should have taken the boers with you. Mine would have loved it. Some times I take them for walks in the field to clean up. She never get to far from me and always follow where I go.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am envious of your yard. Was that long line of bushes blooming white flowers, Althea's?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Rose of Sharon, Symphony. We literally have hundreds. DH dug up his aunt's yard years ago and brought them home.....we couldn't afford to go buy trees / shrubs and those lil suckers MULTIPLY.

Goats can eat them, that's a plus.

Roger, I *tried* to take Ruby, she stopped 10 foot from the barn, started picking up leaves and eating, and would not budge. Jaz is too wild, Levi's too fat, and Patch is no spring chicken and it was hot that day.

We did the petting zoo thing at TSC today. I'll try to post pics tomorrow morning.

Whooops....forgot to tell you.......IT'S RAINING!!!

:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :bow :bow :celebrate :weee :weee

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Rose of Sharon, Symphony. We literally have hundreds. DH dug up his aunt's yard years ago and brought them home.....we couldn't afford to go buy trees / shrubs and those lil suckers MULTIPLY.

Goats can eat them, that's a plus.

Roger, I *tried* to take Ruby, she stopped 10 foot from the barn, started picking up leaves and eating, and would not budge. Jaz is too wild, Levi's too fat, and Patch is no spring chicken and it was hot that day.

We did the petting zoo thing at TSC today. I'll try to post pics tomorrow morning.

Whooops....forgot to tell you.......IT'S RAINING!!!

:weee :weee :weee :weee :weee :bow :bow :celebrate :weee :weee
:celebrate RAIN YAY!!!! :weee

Vickir73

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rain - it's a good thing!!! Today has been the first day we have gotten rain in about a week, but I still think we might be in the drought level. My goat pen is getting kinda gross though.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Raining alllll around us but nothing here. Grrrrr.

Hand digging the fish pond.....DH was going to use the Bobcat but it just won't 'fit' where we're putting it. I was hoping 30" would be deep enough (that's where I am at) but the 'experts' are telling me 3' minimum to keep fish from freezing out.
Phooey.

Froze some tomatoes and juice the other day.

Still breedin' the goats. Bullitt's been off at another farm and will be home this weekend. Then I'll get the boers bred and be done.

That's about all I got....:)

redtailgal

Reaction score
hmmm. YOu freeze your tomatoes?

If you have a minute, I'd be interested in hearing about your process.

OH, I'm going to look at 3 wethers this saturday! They will be named, meatloaf, hamburger, and butt roast. :lol:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I blanch them juuust long enough (about 45 seconds to a minute) to get the skins off, then cut out the core, sling off the seeds and slice them. Put 'em in a baggy, suck the air out, and pop 'em in the freezer...perfect for veggie soup. I use romas for freezing. I also freeze tomato juice....I use 'regular' (better boy, early girl, rutger, etc) for juice, they are pretty mushy / fleshy to freeze.

It rained for 5 mins. yesterday and for 3 glorious hours today. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:D

Congrats on the wethers. Don't laugh, but I cannot eat goat. Yes, I raise / sell 'meat' goats. But only b/c people around here want them for 4-H wethers.
Goats are like dogs to me...I couldn't eat one of those, either.

:hide

redtailgal

Reaction score
I may have to try the freezing maters thing. I've got 40 roma plants, 2 german johnson, 2 better boy and 5 black cherokee.........they are heaping full of maters that are hard and green and not turning red at all! :hit

I wont laugh at you, too much. FIL and MIL are like that about their cattle. They just wont eat them if they have to care for them, so any beef for the freezer is raised by me. Cuz I have a tiny cold heart and a big warm stomach.

I cant kill them though. I can clean them, cook them and eat them. But I'm just not a killer. :rolleyes: (yup, total wuss am I)