Roll Farms - Herdstock is over, and I'm feeling hung over, lol

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Well let's see.

Yesterday I cleaned out the young chick/ chicken pens and moved some around.

My house is officially chickless for the first time since March. YAY me.

Today I sprayed the barn lot / driveway for weeds. I can't stand a weedy driveway and ours is pretty long. When we unload hay it leaves seeds and the drive starts to look like a hay field. Maybe I should just bale it....:lol:

Been eating watermelon and cantaloupe from the 'above the pond' garden. All that watering has paid off!

Got some mums I started from cuttings planted in the pots that the heat wilted / made look bad. Watered (my rain spell has stopped :( ) and just putzed around doing little chores. I fixed a big old supper and of course DH came home w/out an appetite....If I hadn't cooked, he'd have been starving.

Tomorrow....before work...I'm tearing apart the kid / chick room / and dusting everything to remove all that chick dander that settles on every single surface. Gotta reorganize and move the 'chick' stuff back and the 'kid' stuff forward. Nov. will be here before I know it.

Next week.....I'll start 'spring' cleaning the house. I'm late this year on purpose.......figured I'd wait until it's almost herdstock time b/c A) it's air conditioned in here and hot outside and B) I want it to look nice for 'company'.

Freeney leaves next Friday, along w/ all my spare guineas and roosters. Yay on the birds. :( about Freeney. But he's getting a great home.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
it has sprinkled today I wish it would either rain and cool down or stop making it more hot and humid :th

YAY on being bird free home and getting rid of what you needed (guineas and roosters)
:hugs on Freeney

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
The pond looks good! Makes me want to dig one! I'm not sure I can handle one more thing on my plate right now, but I'll put it on my wish list! We had one growing up, and I loved it. And yeah, get the cheap goldfish because they grow BIG and pretty, and are way less expensive than koi!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I hope Peyton does well for you, DC.....We sure will miss him. But I gotta root for my boys. GO COLTS!
x2 :weee We are taking a trip to MO next week and then hitting the opener on the way back home. So excited!

Your yard is amazing!!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Nothing real exciting going on....

Our hay guy showed up w/ 32 bales of 'candy' hay that he couldn't fit on his wagon the other day (it was easier to just bring it here than take it to his house, unload it, then reload it in a few weeks to bring it back to me). He wants $5.00 a bale for this stuff and it's almost pure alfalfa. The kids are the only ones getting it right now til the does start kidding.

I've got to decide if I want to buy more of it or the 'cheaper' (but still really good) grass hay to stock up on. My milkers do so well on it but 75x 3.50 vs 75 x 5.00 adds up. Maybe I'll do half and half.

DH got off work early yesterday and mowed the yard for the first time since the 1st week of July....we had some downpours this weekend and the grass could finally handle it.

I picked / blanched / juiced about a bushel of tomatoes, then went out to trim the plants and found another bushel or more of ripe ones that I'd missed because the plants were so thick. :p

Froze some green pepper for pizza and fajitas this summer.

After work this morning I have to go get chicken feed then I've been asked to spray the pond for weeds again 'so it will look nice for herdstock.'
THEN he says, "Are any men coming to this thing? I hate to be workin' my butt off to make the yard look good if no men are coming."

Because....ya know....us females don't look at things like that. :rolleyes: :lol:

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OMG, $5/bale for pure alfalfa??? We pay $15 and some places sell it $16.50!! Many people here are downsizing because of the hay price. Wow...I can have so many more goats if I live where you live! Lucky!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
He really could take it to a hay sale and get 9-10$ a bale...but I'm a long time customer and he and I both know he'd be price gouging, considering I see his hay fields / know what they're looking like. It's been dry but not devestatingly so, we finally got enough rain to get things growing again.

I paid $3.75 for this same hay last year.

But, I gave him some cantaloupe and a whole sack of tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers to take home.....I take care of him, he takes care of me.

Forgot to mention....I found about 13 of the 25 fish dead over the last few days. Hoping the 'conditions' in the water get to where they need to be soon so I can go get some bigger / prettier fish.

Vickir73

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm jealous about the alfalfa too :plbb That's an awesome price. Our guy that rents our pasture for his horses does little odds and ends around the place to help out so I try to give him eggs and veggies when we have them. I think it's great to help each other out this way.

Latest posts