Scottish Blackface

Ozark Daisy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You have really gorgeous sheep. Their wool looks really nice.:)

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks.....I've had the breed since 1996 and won't keep any other breed. I'm up to 28 lambs so far this season.....from 18 ewes.

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
RustyDHart - If one were to get these Scottish Blackface, aprox. how much pasture would they need per animal? Do you use a paddock or rotational system between multiple pastures or is it one giant pasture?

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a rotational pasture system....I can make the areas as big as I want....permanent fencing on the outside area and temp. fence crossing the areas to make smaller pastures. I have about 225 acres..but only 25 or so are fenced for my sheep. I would say 5 ewes with their lambs per acre on good pasture is very adequate. Scottish Blackface are a medium size breed and wouldn't take as much feed and space as say a Suffolk or Hampshire. I hope this helps you....:)

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
I have a rotational pasture system....I can make the areas as big as I want....permanent fencing on the outside area and temp. fence crossing the areas to make smaller pastures. I have about 225 acres..but only 25 or so are fenced for my sheep. I would say 5 ewes with their lambs per acre on good pasture is very adequate. Scottish Blackface are a medium size breed and wouldn't take as much feed and space as say a Suffolk or Hampshire. I hope this helps you....:)
That does help. Thank you.

CPT Bluegrass

Just born
Reaction score
I have read your post and have been interested in getting sheep for some time. Now that I am getting a farm myself in less than 6 weeks (sadly on only 3 acres) I want some sheep and have done some good research on the subject. My question is how much are you selling them for? I would like to devote One Acre to my sheep for now and would like to start with mostly Ewes and maybe one Ram.

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
pm me for prices....They are reasonable. I will have some ewe and ram lambs from last year available and some from this year.

CPT Bluegrass

Just born
Reaction score
I got your PM and am very interested in purchasing. However, I am looking at doing so next spring as I still need to build a fence on my property and section spaces off for the animals. Please let me know if this will be possible. Thanks!

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No....The rams can be a little cocky during the breeding season though. This is a seasonal breeder....they don't breed through out the year.