Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa's car has a slow (and I mean really slow) leak in one of her tires so we dropped it off to have it checked. I told them that it was slow and only lost a couple pounds of air overnight but I have had to air it up three times in the last week while we were getting other things cleared up.

We went to a new little cafe in town and had lunch and when we got back to the shop it was sitting out so we went in to pay for it. Turns out that the guy that was checking it out checked the air (which was good because I had topped it off) and decided that nothing was wrong with it since the air was where it should be. Since there was nothing wrong in this guys mind, he just pulled out and parked it outside.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
People don't listen... OF COURSE you would have "aired it up" before driving it.... thank God that the guys at the co-op here know when I say something like that , that they need to pull if off and see if they can find the slow leak.....
Do the ewes sell by the pound or by the head at your sale? Were those the OOPS lambs that the ewes had that weren't supposed to be bred for then? Do they sell them by the pound or the head?
Hope they do real good...
Do you not stay to see the animals sold? We ALWAYS stay to see our stuff sold to make sure that there is no "behind" things going on and someone tries to "steal" some animals by low bidding and others agreeing to not do much bidding "against each other"... happens alot at the one sale yard we used to sell most cattle at and now we take a good many an hour north to a sale that really does a much better job of trying to get better prices for the sellers....and they get alot of buyers there too, so there is more competition... The other sale has lost several of the buyers over the past 2-3 years that the new owners have taken it over... it's a "good ole boys" cliche group now...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The lambs were the last of the Oops lambs and they sell by the pound. When we settled on this yard almost 7 years ago we stayed for a couple of the sales but this company does an excellent job of managing the sales that we don't worry about kinky bidding. We do occasionally watch a bit over the internet.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great to have a place you can trust to "do right".... there is alot of "trading stuff" that goes on in the cattle world... and we know lots of people that do different dealings... but if we stay and watch... they don't get "given away" or we bring them home now... used to be not so much it doesn't seem... but DS even said that some of them really try to "steal stuff" in the ring now, so we just stay and bring them home if we have to....
The sale we go to more often now really is alot more decently run... and he has the animal numbers to support that too. Not saying that there still aren't some things that get slipped through... but for the most part, we get fair prices for red and "smokie" cattle as opposed to the closer sale that really will give you a bath on anything that isn't black...up there, if it "grades" then they will go right in the pens with the blacks and bring the same money which is how it should be... QUALITY should take precedence... but here it is black first... and god forbid if it has any dairy influence here closeby... they will kill you on it... the sale an hour away is also more dairy country... and more of the farmers are breeding the lower end of their milking herd to angus or simmental or limi's... anything black... and there is a market being developed for a few that are feeding these crosses out... so MUCH better prices for the dairy influenced ones...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa's car has a slow (and I mean really slow) leak in one of her tires so we dropped it off to have it checked. I told them that it was slow and only lost a couple pounds of air overnight but I have had to air it up three times in the last week while we were getting other things cleared up.

We went to a new little cafe in town and had lunch and when we got back to the shop it was sitting out so we went in to pay for it. Turns out that the guy that was checking it out checked the air (which was good because I had topped it off) and decided that nothing was wrong with it since the air was where it should be. Since there was nothing wrong in this guys mind, he just pulled out and parked it outside.
What a moron. Did he think you were making it up?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
DUH..... and totally justified your claim.... I have had several of those types of leaks over the years... picking up a very small piece of wire and then would probably park it with that part down so some days it seldom leaked and others it would be where it could leak a little more... had several screws, nails, a small pointed sharp edged sliver of a rock wedged between the treads into the tire....
Glad they found it... fixed it and you are back to good to go.....

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Working at a landfill, I get so many slow leaks that I just pull up to my tire guy's lot, he comes out, I point, he pulls it and plugs it. :lol:
They are a tiny little side of the road shack that takes cash only & I keep enough for a plug & nice tip hidden in the car at all times.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that the lambs are all gone, we will move the ewes to another paddock where Oshi can't smell the girls that are ready. He has been hanging out at a gate that Missy (the ewe that had a C-section) has decided is the place to be since she is obviously ready. I will go out tomorrow and move all of the ewes and the dogs to a paddock that is not in Oshi's smell range :)