Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was surprised at how little pain I had in my shoulder for most of the day so I wasn't taking anything for pain. About three this afternoon I started to feel a bit of throbbing so took some Tylenol and it seemed like I caught it in time before the nerve blocker completely was gone. They sent some Oxycodone home with me but I don't like taking those if I can manage without them and so far it is fine

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I had knee replacement, I used Arnicare pills, 4 under the tongue. Start day with 4 every 15 minutes until pain subsided, usually about 3 times, then every 4 hours. I also used the Arnicare cream and rubbed it all over my knee up to the incision but not on it. It kept me relatively comfortable and pain free. You can usually find the rub in a drugstore, but probably have to order the pills. The Arnicare will help with soreness when you get a therapy session.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The trick with pain killers - per a surgical urse friend - is to take the over the counter stuff about half way through the heavy duty pain killers. As you come down off the heavy duty stuff the OTC stuff helps to mitigate the pain unti time to take the HD stuff again.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, the pain/ache is somewhat manageable... That is GREAT.... what are they allowing/wanting you to do and not do? I know you said hunt and peck is harder... but am glad you are back on here a little...

No lifting at all until the Dr clears me for more. There are a bunch of fairly passive exercises that are to keep the scar tissue from attaching at places that can cause a problem, There are several directions when moving the arm that tells you it is too early for that. The pain overall is WAY less than what I have been dealing with, so it's good