The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is that harness supposed to do?
Take him over to where the birds hang out and tell him to guard, stake him down and leave him for about 30 minutes so he doesn't keep following me wherever. Then take him back to his pen, repeat so he understands when I say "guard", he understands down and will break from a chase with his name.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
So yeah - what is the harness for??? Tie out????
If he wants to be with the birds he's guarding I don't see a problem. Unless he "snacks" on them, but that would be a different issue.
I've trained a lot of dogs (though not an LGD) and see people looking for the "magic tool" -- find something, it works for a bit, then the dog figures it out and it doesn't work anymore. I know people with boxes of "magic" tools :lol:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with SageHill. He is trying to protect bird flock - his current herd of animals. You are tryong to terain him differently.

Once the Anatoloan has established a predator pattern on his property, it will protect the area aswell as the flock/herd. Since Pooch doesn't have enough birds to make protecting difficult he has time to check on you and watch what you are doing. If he can be back to the birds quickly then no harm no foul. He is still doing his job.

Getting an Anatolian to break off chasing a predator will be impossible. He will chase until he thinks they are far enough away not to be a threat. If he can't get the threat to move that far away, he will kill the predator. If he is chasing livestock, that is a different matter. Tying him up will not help since he will be worried that he can't move around freely to protect the perimeters of what he is guarding. LGDs are not obedience dogs.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's why I check with everyone here before buying something that "might" work. Trying to understand what he is saying from those with more experience. Not chasing livestock, though one or two are going underneath the Waddle Wattle Inn next to him driving him nuts time to time today, funny to watch.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons he still wants to follow you everywhere is because you TOOK HIM EVERYWHERE with you when he was smaller... he still has YOU as part of what he needs to guard and he has put you at the top of his priority list... if you aren't around, then he goes over to the chicken area and guards them. Do you think that he will roam much with you being so far away from the other neighbors? Can you not leave him loose there while you are there?
And if you were to go for a harness for any kind of tie out, walking him anywhere, go with the biggest size... most can be adjusted down... he is NOT done growing yet... can't make it bigger if he gets too big for it.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons he still wants to follow you everywhere is because you TOOK HIM EVERYWHERE with you when he was smaller... he still has YOU as part of what he needs to guard and he has put you at the top of his priority list... if you aren't around, then he goes over to the chicken area and guards them. Do you think that he will roam much with you being so far away from the other neighbors? Can you not leave him loose there while you are there?
And if you were to go for a harness for any kind of tie out, walking him anywhere, go with the biggest size... most can be adjusted down... he is NOT done growing yet... can't make it bigger if he gets too big for it.
No, he knows to stay nearby, he has been disciplined to never cross the road which borders most of this property, to never cross the fence line that goes onto BLM land and where the northern line of this 40 acres is at since he was a puppy.
Just was afraid he was too young to let out alone since he isn't even a year old yet. Unlike flat ground you can only see a few hundred feet here unless you go to higher ground and even then you got ravines, trees and the likes.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Figure while I wait on parts come in for the excavator try and make a few animal shelters to try and sell. The possibilities with this tool expands beyond animal shelters, root cellars, greenhouses yeah one can get creative.
IMG_0618.jpeg
IMG_0619.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg