Training question

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am trying to train my goat.. I give him treats to reward him but my question is, what do I do to correct undesired behavior? :/ I have searched the web for ideas but haven't found much at all. :rolleyes:

What has worked for you?

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
perhaps a mild shock collar, but that may breed distrust. I know for most wild animals you simply ignore the behavior and walk away.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What are you trying to train it to do? :hu

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Positive reinforcement, repetition, and LOTS of patience.

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am trying to train him to back up and stand back when I am leaving his pen.

He wants to get out so he gets his head (with horns) in the corner of the door and blocks me to where I have to push him back to get out. But even then..he will put his horns on my calf or put his hoves on my back or jump up on the door. :barnie it is frustrating.

I whack him across the horns with a stick and he backs up and away then. But I don't think this is a good way to handle him.. surely there is a better way.

Like I said do reward him when he does back away but so far the behavior is still happening.:rolleyes:

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You could try a squirt bottle with water. A little spritz in the face to get him to back up.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a small electric hand held shocker that works well for our huge GS puppy (one year old) and also if our bucks get a little too pushy. One zap on the nose is worth a thousand words (although it's appropriate to say "NO!" at the same time). And, yes, we do give lots of encouragement and treats.

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do use a water bottle too.

(not meaning to ask a dumb question) Is the electric shocker effective in stopping the pushiness?

My goal is to be able to say "back" and have him Back up and actually Stay back, instead of backing up only to run back to the door again. so getting my goat to do that...to stay away when I tell him too..this is my dilemma. :/

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
goatsintheopen said:
I do use a water bottle too.

(not meaning to ask a dumb question) Is the electric shocker effective in stopping the pushiness? :/
Yes, very effective, but it is important to give a command first in a serious sounding voice so they learn to respond to that and you don't have to keep zapping them.

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
is this shocker similar to the hotshot power mite? i have wondered myself if that would work on goats.