Urgent.....Doe in labor NOW...update: healthy breech doeling

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sounds like everything is working out fine. At least the vet will be able to verify. At this point, I'm calling the vet out a lot. I have a lot to learn and I'm trying not to kill a goat to get my education. Of course this is costing more money than just replacing a goat but I have had several pet losses lately and just can't take another one. As time goes on and my knowledge is more expanded, then I will need the vet less and less.

Can't wait to see pictures.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I actually set the laptop up in the hay storage and it was very slow, so now I have just a minute to post.....

It was not a nose and hooves, it was a butt and hocks! My inexperience.....and rushing. I went in halfway up to my elbow and felt more...found the real hooves and was aghast.

Got her feet turned and she is out and in the living room with my parents. Got 6 oz of colostrum that I stole from Ginger and have a couple ounces left, hoping to buy some when the people I got the buck from get home from work.

I will post details on SS on "Free's kidding thread" later today, with pictures! Woohoo!

I had the vet on the phone...he was in Bristol, CT, over an hour away, and got the wrong message from the staff and was calling my house instead of my cell! Got that straightened out and then he told me how to feel in her uterus for more babies. There were no more elbows, knees, or hocks.

Doeling is gorgeous, jet black, sucked all the minerals out of poor Mya. Gotta go milk, but there is a storm right now....gonna go give baby the last two ounces of milk as she is trying to nurse on everything and is a big, big girl.

Whew.

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She must be big. You thought she might be triplets!! Congratulations and bravo on keeping your head and being there for Mya. I'm truly impressed!
Storms headed this way too. Need to put a few things in the yard away quickly.
Hope you can get some pictures soon. :weee

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When I read that you saw amniotic fluid, continued pushing, and no baby I thought...uh oh...because that's how our breech happened..

:hide

Then I read "two hooves and a nose" and thought...whew!

And now this!?!?

:gig

Goats... I'm tellin ya.. Just never know what to expect.

We actually have one that was due...when was it again?...oh yeah, TODAY...who's out grazing with the herd right now, ligaments and all.

No clue. :hu

:lol:

Super nice work you did there, and I'm really glad everything turned out for ya. :thumbsup

(Just for reference, how'd you help the baby out? You said you went further and were aghast to find her fronts -- I would be too -- and that you "got her feet turned"...I'm assuming you pulled her hind feet back behind her, then pulled her out and downward in sort of a reverse-diving position?)

Su

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
:th
Did I say I want dairy goats???
Those of us who raise goats on purpose get what we deserve. :gig :lol:

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh MY! Glad everything worked out in the end...so to speak.

Our doe that kidded in January had a little doeling that presented tail first. I had to push her back in, find the back feet, pull them out and then pull her in the reverse-dive position. After she was out, about ten seconds later, her brother fell out on top of her and another sister after that. Seriously, it was like a waterfall of bubbles! Guess they were tired of waiting for their backwards sister to get out of the way! lol.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mini-M Ranch said:
Oh MY! Glad everything worked out in the end...so to speak.

Our doe that kidded in January had a little doeling that presented tail first. I had to push her back in, find the back feet, pull them out and then pull her in the reverse-dive position. After she was out, about ten seconds later, her brother fell out on top of her and another sister after that. Seriously, it was like a waterfall of bubbles! Guess they were tired of waiting for their backwards sister to get out of the way! lol.
We yanked one out by the tail a few weeks ago.. Thought about pushing her back in, but she had half her butt out already and she was obviously not a hosscat in terms of size.. Kinda just figured pushing her back in and fumbling around all that would be more troublesome than just pulling. Not to mention, mama's contractions were near constant by that point..

I second guessed myself a time or two as I felt the kid's tail popping in my hand ( :th ) but...it worked out alright. :gig