Who are the one acre homesteaders?

msjuris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've seen a few people mention that they, like myself, are raising goats on a one acre lot.

On our little one acre of heaven we have a small (8 trees) orchard, a few gardens (rose/herb/vegetable), 40 chicken (meat/layers), 3 goats (an adding), 2 dogs and 7 cats. Plus the husband and two kids.

So who else is on an acre (+/-) and what are you doing with the limited space?

Marcy

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Currently on this list in a 3 generation home. Grandma and my Uncle, My parents and adult brother and sister, my husband and I (till this summer).

All together there is 6 (soon to be 4) cats, 1 German Shepherd, 5 Nigerian Dwarf goats, 40 or so chickens and a couple ducks. A large garden, and nearly 40 small apple and cherry trees.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We bought just under 6 acres but part of it is marsh so we use only 3.
We are still working out all the kinks on who goes where on our property.
I want to get more chickens, Only have about 20.
Going to keep the 4 dogs and 3 cats.
Not going to get more ducks, geese or guineas. Like the number I have now.
Going to get more goats. I have 1 nubian mix and her daughter, one ND and her ND/Myotonic daughter, another ND and a wether.
We will be using 1/3 of it for the goats and 2 horses. 1/3 is the house and dogs. 1/3 has my peach trees and grass we haven't decided on.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have 1/2 an acre total for 4 adults, 1 child, 4 dogs, 2 cats, an orchard, a garden, a greenhouse, 3 goats and 14 chickens. Amazingly it all fits.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
We have 1/2 an acre total for 4 adults, 1 child, 4 dogs, 2 cats, an orchard, a garden, a greenhouse, 3 goats and 14 chickens. Amazingly it all fits.
LOL That is Amazing!

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have 2.5 acres. I am sure it would seem huge compared to an acre. As of tomorrow, we will have 6 goats, 15 chickens, 36 eggs in an incubator, 4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 parakeets, a fish, 2 adults, 5 children, 3 apple trees, and a small garden. I would like to plant more fruit trees, increase the garden, plant grapes, plant some blueberry and raspberry bushes, build a small barn, and fence in at least 1.5 acres of it. I wish I had a magic wand that could get it all done, right now!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We're on a smidge over 3 acres but a bit over a half acre is shallow pond/marsh so it's unusable. Tentatively have 2 goats (soon to be 3 and crossing my fingers for a buckling and wether this spring), 12 chickens (I have had up to 36 at a time), a dog and cat of course. The garden is pretty good sized at about 20'x60' but I could use a second garden but that means more fencing to keep the goats and deer out... Orchard consists of 4 plum trees but they're not doing well with MN winters, and newly planted 6 apple trees that I'm impatiently waiting to produce...

Edit to add that I could easily do all of this on 1 acre with the right topography and layout. And I could do SO much more with this if I didn't have crappy neighbors...

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Me! 1.15 acres inside city limits. Currently: 19 ducks, 5 quail, 2 goats, several indoor critters, three little boys, and my husband & I.

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are kinda, we have 5 all together with the house in the middle so a little over 2 acres on the right are all we are using right now. We need to fence in the other 1 1/2 on the left side of the house.

Chores, chores, chores.... list, list, list ARGH