Why Goats?

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think it is great that you are looking for answers. Another way to help off set the cost is to buy things used. If you could work and earn a bit of your own money and purchase the things you would need for the goats, make a plan on what you want to use the goats for and how you plan on caring for them, then work on the structures, etc on your own. You might have a shot. My kids get nothing living unless they show me they have a strong desire through research, work, and things they purchase.

I have two pygmy wethers. They really don't cost a great deal of money since they are just pets. My BIL is very experienced and has most of the supplies. He does the trimmings for me and reminds me when they need dewormed etc. We got used fence posts off craigslist for $2 a post (used 9) We bought a new, x-large, insulated, doghouse for their shelter. It cost $150. We bought 8 cattle panels at $12 each. Straw for extra winter insulation was $2 a bale. We use 3 bales at a time. They trample them down after a bit and have to be replaced. There were was hardware, buckets, hay holder rigged thingie, minerals, vacc, etc.

Mine don't eat much. I think I over feed them because they are very fat. I go through a bag (around $8) of feed a month sometimes a bit longer. It takes about a week to go through a bale of hay (anywhere from $3-5 a bale).

Sounds like you are getting some good advice!

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a suggestion for reading. http://www.fiascofarm.com/

There are mixed opinions on the validitiy of some of the information on this site, but I found it very valuable information in starting to think about goats. It gives a very comprehensive picture of what you will need to consider with goats. It describes the hoof trimming process, feeding, fencing, housing, breeding, kidding and a whole lot more.

Just remember, there are lots of opinions on the right way to do lots of things so the site is not a bible for goat care, but does give a starting point for information, and it is free.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It would be nice if you could find someone to mentor you, I teach my young granddaughter who is 6 yrs younger, I started with the basic's with her, and we finally bought her a young pygmy herd, so when they have babies, she can save the money from the sale to help with other things she will need later on, as far as the bigger goats. she watches when we do shots, trim hooves, and deliver kids. she does not at her age particepate just watches. she does know the feeding system for each age group, knows how to milk, and process the milk. she earns her money from doing chores with the goats, so she can buy her own. You are alot older and I applaud you for wanting to learn, I agree that maybe you could find a 4-h group or a mentor to help you get started. there's alot to learn and Us on this forum are still learning. good luck to you!!!It's a wonderful hobbie and a passonate one to have. Patty

Natermotor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, still no luck in convincing my mom. She is a very tough nut to crack.

Pertaining to the fences: Is it okay if I use that 4 ft. tall fencing for the Nigerian goats? Is it possible for them to jump over that because they are so small?

Thanks for the info about the oak tree and the link. Those were both very helpful.

I'm still open to more suggestions from people, so post, post, post!

Oh, and about the 4H. I have almost very little time for 4H. At absolute most, I have 4 hours of open time, and that is usually between four and seven or seven-thirty at night. I play hockey 6 times a week, and my school is also very demanding. When I was younger, I thought about doing 4H, but I was(and still am!) really shy about meeting new people. Looking back on it, I wish I took the oppurtunity. Sorry if I'm just spilling my thoughts out!:lol:

Also, it would be helpful if you guys new about a breeder near the MD, DE, PA area or knew somebody that I could talk to about a breeder around here.

Thanks.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My fencing is 4 feet high and I have no problems with my Nigerians jumping over them. Is it possible, yes. But I guess if the goats are happy, then maybe they don't try.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
My fencing is 4 feet high and I have no problems with my Nigerians jumping over them. Is it possible, yes. But I guess if the goats are happy, then maybe they don't try.
Thankfully, my goats have rarely lived up to their reputation as escape artists either.

Natermotor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
ksalvagno said:
Thankfully, my goats have rarely lived up to their reputation as escape artists either.
Thanks guys. Also, what is the gestation period for Nigerians?