Why Goats?

Natermotor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Thank you!

Does it matter a whole lot if the ground is a little swampy during the wet season? Will that hurt their hooves, even if I keep them regularly trimmed. Is there anything that I can do so that their hooves don't get damaged when the ground is like that?

Thanks

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh yes those nigerians can certainly jump a 4ft. fence LOL. However I have only experienced a buck in rutt that jumped my 5 ft fence while standing on a stump :) Anyway, I also do not live in MD, DE, or PA however I do live in NY on the MA border. I will have lots of mini-alpines this next spring and I know a wonderful breeder of nigerians just 15 minutes from me in MA. She has great stock and always buys bucks that are from great bloodlines and keeps alot of the does for breeding back so you know they are good lines. Her bucks actually are the sires to my Alpine does kidding in spring. Check out my does on my kidding schedule tab and the junior doelings tab to see a few mini-ALp kids from last year. Its www.shadyacresfarm.webs.com Good luck convincing your mom. I hope you can do it.

Natermotor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
Oh yes those nigerians can certainly jump a 4ft. fence LOL. However I have only experienced a buck in rutt that jumped my 5 ft fence while standing on a stump :) Anyway, I also do not live in MD, DE, or PA however I do live in NY on the MA border. I will have lots of mini-alpines this next spring and I know a wonderful breeder of nigerians just 15 minutes from me in MA. She has great stock and always buys bucks that are from great bloodlines and keeps alot of the does for breeding back so you know they are good lines. Her bucks actually are the sires to my Alpine does kidding in spring. Check out my does on my kidding schedule tab and the junior doelings tab to see a few mini-ALp kids from last year. Its www.shadyacresfarm.webs.com Good luck convincing your mom. I hope you can do it.
I was actually looking pretty specifically for the nigerians, just for the fact that they are able to breed year round(I hope, as it was mentioned in the Storey's guide.)

Also, I think I've decided not to buy from Craigslist, because almost none of the animals there have pedigrees, which are an important factor in the purchase.

What should I look for in regards to the utter? Like teet size, or how far from the belly the utter is from the stomach?

Another question: Do you think that since I don't want to really have to deal with all the requirements, mainly time, of kids, that some breeder near me would be willing to sell me some older does for a relatively low price? I also want opinions about wether I should by older goats of kids.

Maybe you could also give me some form of contact for the breeder, although they probably are too far away for me anyway.

Thanks everyone, you've all been lots of help.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sigh...i reaaaahhhhlly want goats....I hope you get yours soon! please post photos!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Natermotor said:
Another question: Do you think that since I don't want to really have to deal with all the requirements, mainly time, of kids, that some breeder near me would be willing to sell me some older does for a relatively low price? I also want opinions about wether I should by older goats of kids.

You could purchase does in milk (although quality adults won't be any cheaper than kids) but eventually you'll have to rebreed them if you want to keep them in milk. That means you'll need to be prepared for kids at some point.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Does in milk will not be cheaper, but the milk can pay them off if your family drinks a lot of milk. I always recommend that people get a doe in milk as the first dairy animal if at all possible, and watch her being milked before you buy her...milked by hand. Milk her yourself, too....it is harder than it looks at first, then it gets easier after a few attempts.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Does in milk will not be cheaper, but the milk can pay them off if your family drinks a lot of milk. I always recommend that people get a doe in milk as the first dairy animal if at all possible, and watch her being milked before you buy her...milked by hand. Milk her yourself, too....it is harder than it looks at first, then it gets easier after a few attempts.
That is what I did and I am glad I did. I bought a LaMancha in milk and the seller had her 6 year old daughter show me how to milk her. If a 6 year old can milk her without a problem, she is an easy milker. Jasmine is a sweet little thing, very easy to milk. I don't even have to lock her in a head gate to milk.