You know they're city if...

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If they believe themselves to be eating unborn chicks when they have eggs for breakfast and you try to explain to them that the eggs at the store are not fertilized and therefore have no potential whatsoever to become chicks.

Um, the eggs are not fertilized because there was no rooster around at the time....Well a fertilized egg would have a little red dot in the yolk where the cells start to form. *blank stare* Okay, nevermind.
20.gif

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You, as in, and the city person have nothing to talk about....

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am the only "country girl" in my family. I grew up in the city but I love my chosen country life. I don't have much in common with my sisters and I am sure they don't trust what I cook. None of them would eat rabbit or goat meat and am sure they would think the orange egg yolks odd, don't even let me mention goat milk, goat milk yogurt, cheese or ice cream lol. Wow they are missing out! Tho a couple of my neices have really surprised me and love my goat cheese etc. On the other hand my husband's family tho raised in the city are "displaced country"and would die for a rabbit, fresh eggs, and will try anything! We plan a pig roast this summer and I can imagine what will happen when I thro rabbits on the barbq, his side fighting for them and my side turning green lol. Well I'm serving goat cheese, pickled eggs, homebaked bread, and everything this little farm has to offer, some will be excited some not so much, can't please everyone.

LOL the best tho is giving all the city girls horseback rides(they actually like them) and them walking thru the barn tour in "city shoes".

Dutchgirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
PattySh said:
I am the only "country girl" in my family. I grew up in the city but I love my chosen country life. I don't have much in common with my sisters and I am sure they don't trust what I cook. None of them would eat rabbit or goat meat and am sure they would think the orange egg yolks odd, don't even let me mention goat milk, goat milk yogurt, cheese or ice cream lol. Wow they are missing out! Tho a couple of my neices have really surprised me and love my goat cheese etc. On the other hand my husband's family tho raised in the city are "displaced country"and would die for a rabbit, fresh eggs, and will try anything! We plan a pig roast this summer and I can imagine what will happen when I thro rabbits on the barbq, his side fighting for them and my side turning green lol. Well I'm serving goat cheese, pickled eggs, homebaked bread, and everything this little farm has to offer, some will be excited some not so much, can't please everyone.

LOL the best tho is giving all the city girls horseback rides (they actually like them) and them walking thru the barn tour in "city shoes".
I don't own goats, but a family I know does and I don't mind the taste of the goat milk, though I do find it rather strange-tasting. They made blackberry ice cream once with goat milk and berries they picked, and it was delicious.

One of my favorite parts of having animals and living on a "farm" - if you could call our 8 acres of woody area a farm - is having "kids from town" over and letting them pet the rabbit, get the eggs, and see all the animals.

Once a woman from Colorado came with her two sons who were both between the ages of 18 and 26. The woman thought that the fact that we had a spacious backyard and a deck was awesome, and she loved the chickens. I caught our Polish chicken many times at her request - she couldn't get over its funny hairdo.
The older son was in the Navy, and I could tell that he enjoyed playing with our six-year-old and nine-year-old. Both of the boys were coloring pictures and rolling down hills. :weee

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When they ask how you can have eggs from your hens if you don't have a rooster...... :lol:

Bimpnottin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
if they ask how you can eat something with a name (meat hogs) ... and you just tell them when you eat "Fred, George, etc" that you thank God for said animal and giving us his bounty and being allowed to know exactly how that animal was raised and what it was fed. ;)

cleo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
. . . when they ask if the rooster lays eggs.
. . . when they say that brown hens lay brown eggs and white hens lay white eggs.
. . . when they are surprised that roosters crow all day (and sometimes at night).
. . . when they don't want anything to do with animal manure.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
My neice was "helping" me in the garden a couple years ago......she said "someone glued tomatoes to your flowers". After I explained that those were not flowers, but tomato vines and they were indeed supposed to have tomatoes on them because they were grown from tomato seeds.........she ran to the house and got her box of chicken nuggets for me to plant.
:yuckyuck

My neice noticed some baby cukes growing on the vine here a few yrs ago, and says, "Why, those look JUST LIKE pickles!"
I sorta looked at her to see if she was serious (she graduated salutorian, she's not dumb), and she was....
She had *no* idea that pickles are made from cucumbers. I took her to a farmer's market and said, "Pick out some fruit you like" and she says, "Um. I'm not sure what I like...we don't really eat fruit." (As you can imagine, she's not in the best shape, raised on chips and fish sticks.)

One of my sisters is coming this weekend to stay. *hushed TV anouncer voice*

"What Donna doesn't know is that her sister has secretly replaced the store bought milk she's used to with fresh, delicious, whole goat milk...We'll watch and see if she notices a difference."

She'll want to kill me if she figures it out, I've offered it several times and she won't try it.