Baymule’s Journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@rachels.haven .....Every one has some bad times... Look at the couple of steers we buried... $1500 a piece in the ground.... and we did not have the worm situation... just drop dead.....???!!!! SH$T happens and when they are environmentally caused like the rain, rain, and more rain... you just do the best you can.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stories like this spring for you make me feel better when I have "crappy" days. Even the best people still have them. Thanks for sharing them.

We don’t paint rosy pictures of puppies and rainbows. We tell the truth. Hard, painful, losses, tragedy as well as celebrations of births and all the wonderful things in farming that keep us coming back for more.

“It’s not just me” it helps knowing others are struggling also. We don’t give up!

@rachels.haven .....Every one has some bad times... Look at the couple of steers we buried... $1500 a piece in the ground.... and we did not have the worm situation... just drop dead.....???!!!! SH$T happens and when they are environmentally caused like the rain, rain, and more rain... you just do the best you can.

Rain, rain and more rain, I did the best I could, it just wasn’t good enough. I’m still dealing with the fallout. Now it’s scorching heat, sheep and dogs hole up in their shelters trying to stay cool.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
$45,000. He has been looking for a long time. Tractors that are 20 years old are priced higher than they were when they were brand new. Inflation works in favor of the seller. This one is 5 years old, it saved about $25,000 over a brand new one. Y’all might be better off to buy a new tractor.
That was a really good buy! DH says tell Layne if he wants to turn a profit on it he will give him $45,500! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We are considering buying a new tractor. Not sure what brand but possibly Kubota. Needs to be one that we can get parts and repairs easily. I think we can sell the old blue tractor or trade it in. The mechanic said we could get about $6,000 for it. If we can't get a good enough trade in on it, we will just keep it hooked to the mower and use it that way. Baby 'Bota will never be sold. DH will buy a tiller of some sort for it for the garden. It is small enough to till the garden easily as well as cleaning the barn. Good little tractor with a front loader and clamp on forks for moving corral panels. Not 4WD but since we are on Texas flat land no need.
$45,000 is about what I paid for my excavator and track loader combined, though people look at me as I'm rich and it should of costed me $100k for those two. Seems to be story of my life, saving money through particular skill sets
Saving money IS a skill set. Weldman!
Smart people don't try to look rich only dumb ones do. I would rather have my money in the bank, drive an older car and wear jeans. Flashy cars or clothes just set you up as a target for thieves. (Except when playing bridge - then I have to dress like a lady to uphold my Grandmother's values! :lol: She was a southern lady.) When doing business with people that think they are smart DH likes to look like a hick - chewing on a straw, jeans, etc. Then they are dumbfounded when he gets the best of them! LOL It is a pleasure to watch him in action with developers!

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That was a really good buy! DH says tell Layne if he wants to turn a profit on it he will give him $45,500! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We are considering buying a new tractor. Not sure what brand but possibly Kubota. Needs to be one that we can get parts and repairs easily. I think we can sell the old blue tractor or trade it in. The mechanic said we could get about $6,000 for it. If we can't get a good enough trade in on it, we will just keep it hooked to the mower and use it that way. Baby 'Bota will never be sold. DH will buy a tiller of some sort for it for the garden. It is small enough to till the garden easily as well as cleaning the barn. Good little tractor with a front loader and clamp on forks for moving corral panels. Not 4WD but since we are on Texas flat land no need.

Saving money IS a skill set. Weldman!
Smart people don't try to look rich only dumb ones do. I would rather have my money in the bank, drive an older car and wear jeans. Flashy cars or clothes just set you up as a target for thieves. (Except when playing bridge - then I have to dress like a lady to uphold my Grandmother's values! :lol: She was a southern lady.) When doing business with people that think they are smart DH likes to look like a hick - chewing on a straw, jeans, etc. Then they are dumbfounded when he gets the best of them! LOL It is a pleasure to watch him in action with developers!
All our vehicles are over 20 years old, only reason I got new shirts is Wally World had a $1 sale last winter for what use to be $13 a shirt, all my pants have holes in them. Wife’s clothes are about 20 years old or older. Add up the cost we paid for all our vehicles and it comes out to less than $40k, dump truck, 5 ton 6x6, Ford Escape, Jeep, Subaru, and Nissan Frontier. Saved $3k on the transmission I’m putting in the dump truck right now, only cost me $1k and that might zero out selling the one I was going to put in it.
I might look poor, and have stigma of the trash out here for where we live of idiots, but drive up and take a look at the building of this pole barn along with other things and you might want to look at the cadastral of who’s property you drove across and how far it covers.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s raining. A few weeks of sunshine has dried the place out, so the cooling rain is a welcome relief. It won’t last long, maybe settle the dust.

And I think my TV just bit the dust. It’s 13 years old, these LCD tv’s don’t last as long as the old style tv’s did. Just freaking great. DD and DSIL will blow through here Saturday, maybe they can confirm that it’s dead. Then I’ll have to find someone to hook up the new one, I don’t have a clue. I might drop Direct TV and go to streaming. I don’t know how to do that either.

Sure wasn’t planning on buying a new TV. This one is a Sharp Aquos 60”, new on the market when I bought it for BJ. It cost $2,000 then fell to a thousand a year later.

Anybody know the difference between a smart TV and a ROKU ready TV?

Schit. $$$ Schit.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Anybody know the difference between a smart TV and a ROKU ready TV?
"Smart TVs enable cord-cutters to stream movies and TV shows without connecting their TV set to a separate streaming device. Roku TV is a form of smart TV that uses technology from streaming media manufacturer Roku. Both are useful for users looking to watch live TV, stream on-demand movies and shows, and more."