Blessedfarmgirl's Journal

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's now officially been a week since the new sheep from @Baymule came to live at ReGeneration homestead. They are doing well! Cookie has a new name, she's now Mocha. I'm looking forward to giving her babies dessert names. Butterfly is the loudest, Mocha is the friendliest. When I go into the barn and milk they all stand by the fence and yell at me. I've been able to pet all three while they eat, but they are all still a bit skittish. They ate me out of mineral like crazy too. 4-5 cups between the three of them already this week. Normally it takes my flock of 12 that long to eat the same amount of mineral. Maybe the stress of moving made them want more?
I am doing the first paddock move tomorrow. Hopefully they will follow the bucket and not scatter and panic. Today though, they got some hay and some alfalfa. They were happy!
Pictures from this evening. It was beautiful!

1000002499.jpg

Moses got to meet the new sheep through the fence today. They got a little nervous, but went right back to eating. He stared at them for a minute, then asked for pets.

1000002502.jpg

The main flock is in grass so deep you can't really see them at all until you get up close. Those are some happy sheep! Grass up to their necks, lots of tree shade, fresh water.

1000002506.jpg

Some more pics from the walk this evening. The sun made some really cool effects.

1000002508.jpg

1000002519.jpg

1000002523.jpg

1000002511.jpg

1000002526.jpg

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The sheep look so happy. All that grass! Your farm is a lovely place.

Cookie, now Mocha, loves attention and treats. Butterfly loves treats too
Thank you! We love it here.

I ran out of animal crackers, I need to get some more. That ought to help me make friends with them!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use Premiere1 trace mineral and mix it with 50 pounds of stock salt. Your mineral mix might taste better. Commercial mixes sometimes have a sweetener added.
That might be it. I use the TSC brand all stock mineral. I guess the rest of my flock is used to it, so they don't eat as much. I'm pretty sure it does have a small amount of molasses. I'll limit them to a little bit every day until they stop eating it like candy.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, that is really good. When we heard TSC had gone woke, some friends of ours boycotted them, but we figured if we boycott everyone who supports those kinds of things we would not have anywhere to shop. Still, I'm glad they refocused their priorities. They must have had enough people complain.

Latest posts