Coffee anyone ?

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Add another noisy slithery šŸ :oops: small one the drive/road between the barn and the house. Never had this many all at once. Going to be a bad year I think. :(
Need to find the food source and get rid of it, get rid of the nest if there is one and they will come back or another one will move in. Cute as rabbits are or other critters, I started packing my freezer after jumping off my backhoe and almost landing on a rattlesnake. Try and spot him in the first picture...
Rattlesnake.jpeg

Ratlesnake.jpeg

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Need to find the food source and get rid of it, get rid of the nest if there is one and they will come back or another one will move in. Cute as rabbits are or other critters, I started packing my freezer after jumping off my backhoe and almost landing on a rattlesnake. Try and spot him in the first picture...
View attachment 105682
View attachment 105683
K now, help the visually impaired... circle the spot he is at in photo 1. Can't see him in there! (Yes, I CAN see him on the close up) :old

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate rattlesnakes but skinned out, cut in 2ā€ chunks, rolled in cornmeal and deep fried, not bad. Plus they come with their own toothpicks(rib bones).

@SageHill have yā€™all considered buying some King snakes and letting loose on the ranch? Alert the neighbors so they donā€™t shoot them.

@Sequestered Ridge Ranch is there a market for ducklings in your area? Could you sell direct to a feed store?

@CLSranch better get on that stud horse and RIDE. Working cows on a green horse oughta be interesting.

Coffee is ready. Got 2 goose eggs, me and middle granddaughter will have them, fried, for breakfast, plus bacon. Youngest doesnā€™t like eggs so will have a waffle. Then pumpkin pie for dessert. We made 2 pumpkin pies yesterday. Breakfast will finish off the first one. Hot strawberries at grocery store, will make pound cake today. Girls are on ā€œMamaw timeā€ we do what we want to.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
K now, help the visually impaired... circle the spot he is at in photo 1. Can't see him in there! (Yes, I CAN see him on the close up) :old
Rattlesnake circle.jpeg

I hate rattlesnakes but skinned out, cut in 2ā€ chunks, rolled in cornmeal and deep fried, not bad. Plus they come with their own toothpicks(rib bones).

@SageHill have yā€™all considered buying some King snakes and letting loose on the ranch? Alert the neighbors so they donā€™t shoot them.

@Sequestered Ridge Ranch is there a market for ducklings in your area? Could you sell direct to a feed store?

@CLSranch better get on that stud horse and RIDE. Working cows on a green horse oughta be interesting.

Coffee is ready. Got 2 goose eggs, me and middle granddaughter will have them, fried, for breakfast, plus bacon. Youngest doesnā€™t like eggs so will have a waffle. Then pumpkin pie for dessert. We made 2 pumpkin pies yesterday. Breakfast will finish off the first one. Hot strawberries at grocery store, will make pound cake today. Girls are on ā€œMamaw timeā€ we do what we want to.
Nope only corporate stores here, nearest feed store of that sort is over 100 miles away. I been selling through FB so far. Every goose egg I have gotten so far is in the incubator.

Well it's going to be warm day again of 58Ā°F, get to fight putting a track on, one duckling passed away, still waiting on second batch to hatch to fulfill a customers order. For the rest I guess I get to keep them unless someone buys them. I'm breaking tape measure out and see how much closer to China I am in my exploits of hole digging then onto fighting getting my track back on. Going to need my backhoe to do that.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chores & breakfast done. I'm not an egg eater but, have SO many. Cooked one today. Bacon grease, onion, scrambled egg. Tasty. šŸ˜. Quiche making later. Girls are laying 14-18 a day.

Beautiful out. Cool morning but warming quick. Working toward fence replacements. First, block off some accesses so I can work without "helpful" goats. Picking up stuff blown in from yesterday's wind tunnel...then I may be able to access things. Ground so wet ya can't do a lot because posts aren't tight enough to stretch on. Some already in ground are but, it's a problem. I'll do what I can! May just be a clean up, clean barn day šŸ¤·. Or play with the goat kidsšŸ˜

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
A surprise lamb yesterday morning. Small but frisky with a doting mom. Tree pollen everywhere, good thing I donā€™t get hay fever. Trees are leafing out but the ground is still cool so tomatoes are lounging in the house. Hubbs got me ten blackberry plants, Apache and Arapaho. We can eat wild berries til these bear. Crabapple is blooming like crazy but the rest of the apple trees arenā€™t interested maybe too young. Peach blooms didnā€™t freeze so peaches this summer. There are fruit farms near me but itā€™s nice to have your own. Beef prices have almost convinced me to start a couple of calves. Iā€™m not cross fenced and I donā€™t know how they would act with the sheep. I may try to plot out a cross fence today and then hope the route doesnā€™t take it over solid rock.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think we're ALL considering meat available beyond the stores. Some not able to raise due to limited space. I know I'm giving animals and winter feed sources a lot of consideration!! Hope to grow more forage for that. Of course, the herd of 18+ deer at lower fields slows me some šŸ˜³ I'm not wanting it grow it for them šŸ¤ but -- might be my yr for an LGD

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
In theory I could run a lane through the yard to the woods and pond. That area about ? ten acres is old growth oak, misc understory and dewberries. Too hilly to mow, perfect for sheep but the barbed wire fence has been there since God was a boy and thatā€™s the parts I can get to. So a challenge. Mean time I may shepherd for real and use Leo to keep the flock out of Aunt Beaā€™s begonias. Bonus! I found four round pen panels abandoned in the lower pasture. Theyā€™re in good shape but found a gate that was probably hit by an asteroid, I donā€™t think we can save it.