ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

redtailgal

Reaction score
WOW.

I love the idea, but it sounds like it was very poorly managed.

:/

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
elevan said:
B did secret Santa shopping in school today. Problem was when he came home he had someone else's bag. :rolleyes: The bag said "Christopher" on it but because it jingled like he said his bag did he thought it was his. I sent an email to his teacher and hopefully we can get it straightened out tomorrow.

What a mess.

K did his shopping yesterday. The school sent an envelope home that we could put who they were to buy for and what their budget was for each person. There was an option to allow or disallow candy purchases. I put that they weren't allowed to buy candy and filled in their budgets for each family member that they were buying for. K came home with candy. He also was over budget on some people and obviously had to buy worthless stuff for others because of it.

Seriously, they set up tables and each table has a certain price range on it. How hard is it to direct a kindergartner to the appropriate table and tell them that they can buy for each family member there (the budget per person was the same for each family member)?

Plus the gifts were supposed to be sent home wrapped. Were they? Nope. So I had to wrap each and every one of them. So the fact that I saw each of these gifts (with the price tag on them mind you) ticks me off even more. Some of the things that K paid $2 for weren't worth 5 cents! They seriously charged $2 for a piece of 1/4" ribbon cut about 4" long and tied into a bow and glued to a pin (to put on your shirt)!

I thought the program would be a good way for them to do some "secret" shopping (it was great when I was in school). I'm really disappointed. :(
When they stopped doing the shopping in school when I was young, I would go to the goodwill or Salvation Army you could always find cool stuff for everyone especially if you were on a budget. :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
When they stopped doing the shopping in school when I was young, I would go to the goodwill or Salvation Army you could always find cool stuff for everyone especially if you were on a budget. :D
The reason that I had them do this had nothing to do with being on a budget but with giving them the ability to purchase gifts that only they knew what they were. That got blown out when I had to wrap them. Hence I know what everyone got.

DH and I each take them shopping to purchase for each of us and each other.

This "secret" Santa shop was supposed to be their "secret" gifts. That's the first thing I'm disappointed about.

The second thing that disappoints me is that they gave parents the option to disallow the purchase of candy and then ignored our wishes.

The third thing that I'm disappointed about is that they didn't assist a kindergartner in understanding their budget at the time of shopping. You can explain it all you want at home and that doesn't mean much when they're in the "zone".

And then B brings home someone else's bag.

It's just a frustrating mess all the way around. I'm glad that we gave them a very small budget per person or I'd be marching to the school tomorrow to rip them one.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
elevan said:
autumnprairie said:
The reason that I had them do this had nothing to do with being on a budget but with giving them the ability to purchase gifts that only they knew what they were. That got blown out when I had to wrap them. Hence I know what everyone got.

DH and I each take them shopping to purchase for each of us and each other.

This "secret" Santa shop was supposed to be their "secret" gifts. That's the first thing I'm disappointed about.

The second thing that disappoints me is that they gave parents the option to disallow the purchase of candy and then ignored our wishes.

The third thing that I'm disappointed about is that they didn't assist a kindergartner in understanding their budget at the time of shopping. You can explain it all you want at home and that doesn't mean much when they're in the "zone".

And then B brings home someone else's bag.

It's just a frustrating mess all the way around. I'm glad that we gave them a very small budget per person or I'd be marching to the school tomorrow to rip them one.
I definately can understand that.
hopefully next year you will get your secret santa or actually maybe you still can if you can get the correct bag for B. ask them if these are at least wrapped.

Sorry things didn't go as they were supposed to. :hugs

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I was on here too late last night. I overslept this morning. Chickens / guineas / ducks were not pleased with me that they didn't get out of the coop until 9am :rolleyes: I don't know how many times I hit that snooze button...but it was too many :p

Then the goats were all screaming at me. They all still had hay and plenty of water. So, it was just attention that they wanted...easy enough as I love my goaties :D

Went out to the pond to see if Mr and Mrs Mallard were still in residence and they are not. :/

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Do you have new pictures of Precious and Little Boy to share? It's sure to bring a smile to your face. ;) :D

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
Do you have new pictures of Precious and Little Boy to share? It's sure to bring a smile to your face. ;) :D
I'll try to get some this weekend when we move them. They'll get to be outside for the first time and that should make for some good pics :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Well...B came home without his presents. No note, no email, no phone call from the teacher. B says that he's supposed to get them on Monday because Christopher took them home.

Well, I realized the mistake right away and sent them back right away...I really expected the same of the other parents. B had better get his presents on Monday or the principal is gonna get an ear full. For starters Christopher was buying for 3 people and B was buying for 10!!! :somad

And I'm a little miffed that the teacher didn't respond to any of my attempts to contact her. :rant

redtailgal

Reaction score
Geesh.

That has to be frustrating!

And it bothers me when people do stuff like this........its terribly disrespectful to the parents AND those children! Those poor kids (and parents).
When grown ups say that they will do something for kids, they need to follow thru and do it right. What a horrible example they are setting!

Get em, Em. Just get em!