ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Bad year. 2011 is a bad bad bad year.

I may have to pull the twins and make them bottle babies. Daisy is feeling off. No signs of mastitis. She's producing milk. But she doesn't want to let them nurse. Precious is hungry enough to try to nurse my finger. :( If I have to pull them then Little Boy will be available immediately instead of in January.

I'll be pulling Daisy, her twins and Diva to a pen closer to the house to keep an eye on them better. Diva is being moved because she's too young to breed and I'm gonna need to put a buck in the main field. She's also Daisy's kid, so hopefully there won't be a problem.

Speedy (one of my bucks) is down...it's a worm issue. I'm treating aggressively and hoping that he pulls through. So Goldie will be pulled from his pen later today when I have DH to help me rearrange.

This strange weather is the root cause of most of these issues this year, I know it. We need a hard and lasting freeze - right now. It's spitting snow right now but it's actually just above freezing outside...and so it's not gonna freeze the ground. The ground is mud...mucky mud. In some areas there is so much ground saturation that the ground is liquid itself.

When DH gets home this afternoon, we'll be rearranging the herd. We'll also do a FAMACHA check on everyone and deworm aggressively where needed. But we really need a hard ground freeze.

I think the chicken problem has passed :fl Everyone appears super healthy at the moment.

It's just so frustrating to go from one issue to another this year. :(

redtailgal

Reaction score
I am having utterances for you, not that it helps.

I'm sorry, Em. 2012 will be a new year and a good one!

:hugs

I cant offer any help or advice......but your farm is in my prayers!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Not a good day :(

Trigeminal Neuralgia is back. Just felt that "lightning bolt" to the temple. It's not going to be a good few days for me. This thing will knock me to the floor in an instant. Good thing the bolts only last a few seconds each but they keep coming. Dang! Too much to do and now I don't know how much help I'll be mentally or physically. What a crappy year.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:hugs It could always be worse. You had a bad year and I am very sorry to hear that. Try and focus on the positive things to help you get through it. 2012 will be better. I just know it. Hang in there Em! :hugs

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I read the thread. Some bleeding up to 4 weeks postpartum is NORMAL as long as:

1. it isn't heavy
2. she doesn't have a fever
3. it doesn't smell bad

It is often a sign of being in heat. Mama's are so hormonal. That coupled with her being off feed slightly and not wanting to feed her kids can be a tell. If you have a buck you can put her on one side of the fence and see if she responds and that would be diagnostic to Hormones gone "wack". She will be OK, if she is in heat and her kids will be fine too.

If she is lethargic as well, that would be a sign of a possible mild infectious process but is is best to give it a couple hours.

Make sure you strip her so she doesn't get a congested udder.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Daisy is eating and drinking fine. She finally let the kids nurse. We moved her and the kids to their new grow out pen. Although I thought I'd killed her when I gave her the PenG. She started screaming and laid down. I almost lost it (as we had another tragedy right before, more on that in a minute). She finally calmed down and got back up. In addition to the PenG, I gave her a dose of Valbazen, Probios and BoSe.

I'm sure that she and the kids will be fine.

But I'm not sure that I will be.

Right before medicating Daisy I went to Speedy's (one of our bucks) pen to give him today's dose of dewormer and Red Cell. He's been battling Barberpole worms. Speedy was gone, he died sometime early this afternoon.

:hit

I don't know how much more of this I can take! Selling or giving away every one of the critters is starting to seem like a good idea.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Oh Emily.

I am so sorry.

It does no good but I am crying with you.

:hugs I dunno the "hugs' emoticon just seems so lame right now.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know what to say other than to send lots and lots of hugs, thoughts, and prayers to you. :hugs :hugs :hugs