ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
B got into trouble today in school for pushing another kid. He's been getting into trouble a lot over the past few months for pushing and hitting. Until today he's never said why or who. B is 5 yrs old. He finally started talking tonight. B along with 3 other boys have been picking on one particular kid. Why? Because they don't like the way he dresses!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw RED and then took a DEEP breath.

"Ok, B, what do you not like about A's clothes?"

B's response was "They're nasty and dirty"

Ok, I can handle this. I went to school with a very nice kid whose family was dirt poor and this sounded like a similar situation.

Next question, "B do you start picking on A or does one of the other boys?"

Response: "C starts it, then J, W and I do it too".

"B, do they get into trouble too"

"Yes, they get red for hitting"

WHY does the teacher not recognize what is going on?!

I'm really disappointed in my boy. Extremely disappointed that he's only 5 and ostracizing someone for their clothes.

So, my next words were..."B, if I'm naked am I still mom?" Answer was yes. "B, if I put clothes on am I still mom?" Answer was yes. "B, if I put on a fancy dress am I still mom?" Answer yes again. "So, B, then the clothes aren't what make me mom do they?" Answer was no. "So, B, then A might be a really nice person and the clothes aren't what makes A...A, right?" Answer yes.

Then we talked more about what makes people who they are. I also informed B that he is not to "be friends" with C, J or W. And the he should apologize to A and try to be his friend. I also took B's favorite outfit away (an OSU jersey and pants) and informed him that when I see that clothes are no longer important to him then he can have it back.

I didn't expect to deal with that with boys and I certainly didn't expect to deal with it in Kindergarten.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Geesh. Ya did good, but wow, that is soooo young for them to be having that kind of issue.

Are you gonna have a chat with the teacher? I'm sorry but she just sound oblivious!

I dont blame you for taking away him favorite outfit. That was a good call!

Wow, I still cant get over this going on in Kindergarten. :/

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
B has been seeing the school counselor for his behavior issues. The conversation will start with her.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'll have my :fl crossed for you.

Sitck with it, Em. They are only this age for a little while.

G'nght

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
VERY unusual weather that we are having. I went out to do chores this morning in my coveralls and felt like I was roasting. If it weren't for the mud / muck I could have gone out in my shirt sleeves.

Gonna have to make a run for chicken feed. DH has been feeding them and didn't tell me that we were at the BOTTOM of the can! :rolleyes:

I'm really pleased with our creep room for the goats. It's the warmest and driest place in the barn right now. Tons of rain today :(

With this unseasonable warmth and heavy rain I'm gonna have to keep a super close watch on everyone for worms and coccidia. So frustrating.

The other day I saw a completely black wooly bear. He "says" that we're in for a bad winter...I think he must be confused. Although I've been told that the Farmer's Almanac predicts bad snowstorms in January / February for my neck of the woods. I just want a heavy and lasting freeze.

Meet the wooly bear:
377996_2516012657184_1159251741_32208117_1342903141_n.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yes yes a nice long hard freeze would be nice for us too!

going to call and check on my lil dog.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Hard freeze would be nice. Suppose to have low 40's for Christmas in Iowa, no snow. :(