ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I've decided to go with Guinea Fowl with Couscous. Now just have to run to the store for some pine nuts and an onion (just used my last one).

I'll post pics tomorrow :D

We'll make the other recipe some other time ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Let the chickens / guineas out and tossed out some scratch. Then went on the hunt for some nice feathers. Both of the boys have a school project to do...but only one requires feathers.

K needs to make a turkey - pretty straightforward. K is learning about where the turkey on the table comes from in class too. Which I fully approve of.

B on the other hand needs to make a turkey in disguise. He's supposed to make a turkey that's "hiding out" as a ballerina, football player or some other such nonsense. The instructions also state that they've been reading books in school about "not eating turkeys". B tells me that he's not allowed to talk about our thanksgiving turkey. :somad I'm gonna have to have a chat with B's teacher about this. She's encouraging the nonsense of not understanding where food comes from. :smack His teacher lives in a suburb of Columbus and teaches school here in a county school full of farm kids, she should no better!

redtailgal

Reaction score
um yeah, me and that teacher would have a meeting of the minds.

If SHE can talk about HER food and dietary habits, she would not be censoring my child. Period.

I am all for a child being exposed to different beliefs and ways of life.........but I can not stand for someone to tell a child that this is the ONLY right way.

How absurd! To make a young impressionable child feel guilty for eating meat. :somad

grrrrr.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I just found out that 2 of my former co-workers are in hospice and not expected to live another 6 months. The one is a wonderful lady so full of spirit that had beat breast cancer once. But now it's back and has metastasized throughout much of her body. The world won't be as bright without her in it. The other is a gentleman who would do anything for anyone and cancer hit him very hard and very fast. I hate cancer. :hit Please send thoughts and prayers to them and their families that this final journey be as painless as possible. Both of these people spent their lives helping individuals and families dealing with cancer and it is so awful that now they are succumbing to the awful disease themselves. I'm so sad over this.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yuk. Prayers for your friends. That sucks any time of the year, but I hate the thought of a family going thru that during the holidays espcially.

Elevan, I didnt know that you wrote children's books! That's cool! I would love to see/read some of what you have written! I am tutoring my neice, and she would think it really cool to read a book by one of my friends. AND I love the idea of illustring with photographs.

Keep me posted on how your writing goes, and if you ever need photos for your books, remember that I have a camera and I know how to use it!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
RTG - right now I'm about ready to hurt an illustrator. I have 2 books ready to go to the publisher once the illustrations are done and had wanted to get them done in time for Christmas. Not gonna happen. Just the thought of it makes flames flare from my nostrils. I'm gonna have to fire the buffoon and start over I think. One of those books could be done with pictures but the other requires illustrations.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'm sorry. But I am looking forward to your being published! Let me know when I get them.........

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Don't worry I'll be singing about it when they're published :D I just wish I could illustrate them myself...would anyone buy a kids book with stick figures for art? :lol: jk

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Well, I'm putting off the guinea meal for a day or two. I got hit with a bout of nausea a little while ago and had to lay down for a bit. Don't really feel like eating so DH is off to pick up a pizza. It's been about a month I think since I've been hit this hard by nausea so I guess I'm doing pretty good that way, but it still sucks as I'll have to take some meds that'll knock me down for the count and I'm trying to avoid them as long as I can.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
:(
Sorry bout your former coworkers and the illustrator and the tummy.

What kind of illustrations do you need?