Good Morning!--Chat thread

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
Another nutty day today. Yesterday I was tired all day, and caught up on my sleep right after I got home from work...didn't want to do no computer work, no reading, nothing, just sleep. I sure woke up fresh as a daisy this morning and it was a good thing because it was another busy day today.

Anyone ever heard of calves getting navel hernias? Usually the hernias are only about the size of two fingers, but this one was the size of the length of my whole hand. The vet I work for told the owner (upon being asked) that it was genetic, nothing to do with feed or birthing problems or mineral deficiencies. Anyway, the vet Dr. B spent a good couple hours putting the stomach membrane back together, and another half hour trying to get the calf to breath again after it stopped breathing a half a dozen times on him. The heart stopped too a couple times. But luckly, the calf came back and was up and about in the trailer when me and another assistant had to give him a needle.

I had a whole pile of autoclaving and cleaning to do today too, lots of stuff to catch up on plus other help with pets and the like. An interesting day, nonetheless. :)
Yep, heard of them and had one that needed surgery too. Glad the calf made it through. Poor thing sounds like it had a rough time.

If they are small there are ways to try to get it to heal before surgery.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
My tractor left me!

WRB, I've heard of the hernias, never had one here! Did have a cow (cough cough) expert (cough cough), try to tell me one of my Brahma cross calves had one! He also tried to tell me a Brahma cross heifer was bull?

Kitty, I'm sorry to hear about the BILs and the cousin.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Good morning everybody!

It's supposed to hit 80 today?
The cows already came up out of the field and are picking their spots in the shade!
Guess I should make sure the garden is watered well and everybodys water dishes are full?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like it will get really hot if the cows are coming up to the shade already.

Yes, water everything/everybody.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
It sounds like it will get really hot if the cows are coming up to the shade already.

It seems the cows emptied the water trough! My sprinkler won't reach everything I want it to hit, until the trough is full again!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Farmer Kitty said:

It seems the cows emptied the water trough! My sprinkler won't reach everything I want it to hit, until the trough is full again!
You need more than one sprinkler.

I love the water floats for the water tubs. They really help keep water in the tanks. ;)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
man our cows dont come up when its hot.they stay by the pool an shade trees.cows love to tear the floats up on water troughs.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
man our cows dont come up when its hot.they stay by the pool an shade trees.cows love to tear the floats up on water troughs.
We have 3 tubs/floats and no problems.