How much to sell rabbit for?

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I paid $25 for my champagne and he was a pet quality because he didn't silver out right for show.

Rabbits are hard to come by around here and after this terrible summer, and trying to keep my rabbits alive, I know why.

I sell my meat mutts for $10 ranging from 8-12 weeks. $15 if they are older. $20 or more for proven breeders.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize how much the rabbits were worth. Thanks for schooling a newbie everyone! I'll certainly keep the prices in mind if I should sell some of our Silver Fox babies as pets or meat.

Rocky Knolls Rabbits

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A locally owned grocery store near me carries frozen whole skinned rabbits and the last time I looked at the price it was close to $7 a pound!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I raise Silver Foxes and have recently bumped into an opportunity to sell some of our rabbits as snake feed and have been offered $10-15/live bunny.
Does this seem like a good deal?

Augusta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Americans and high quality new zealand whites (meaning fast weight gain) I wouldn't sell for less than $35 each,,,in fact americans I would sell for $50 and up....It also shows people are serious...Lessor quality NZW no less than $25....IMHO

CCourson05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
I raise Silver Foxes and have recently bumped into an opportunity to sell some of our rabbits as snake feed and have been offered $10-15/live bunny.
Does this seem like a good deal?
Depending if this person buys them young... Even then, I would aim for the higher end of that spectrum.

You don't want to have to feed them for 6 months for them to buy them. You'll lose money that way.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was planning on selling them as soon as they're weaned, which is normally around 6 weeks, right?

However, if I were to hand them over a week or so before they are weaned, would it mess up the doe's instincts, etc.?

MommaBugg

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wow.. what about a ballpark figure on what a cleaned prepared meat rabbit is per pound? General figures are fine, I am sure like most things it would depend on your area, supply and demand etc.

NVM!! I just saw Rockys post :D

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
I was planning on selling them as soon as they're weaned, which is normally around 6 weeks, right?

However, if I were to hand them over a week or so before they are weaned, would it mess up the doe's instincts, etc.?
I wean my Americans, NZ's and Californians at 5 weeks and there's never been a problem. I know people who wean theirs at 4 weeks without problems, but I personally like the results of 5 weeks.

CCourson05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
AZ Heat said:
Genipher said:

I wean my Americans, NZ's and Californians at 5 weeks and there's never been a problem. I know people who wean theirs at 4 weeks without problems, but I personally like the results of 5 weeks.
I think taking the fattest one away in between weeks 4 and 5 helps the smaller ones catch up.