Mucas plug frustration!!**UPDATED PICS**

Blue Dog Farms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Apple lost her plug 3 1/2 wks ago and still no baby. Bag looks like it may burst but still noooo baby. I have been feeling baby(s) move for almost 4wks now since I noticed she was with kid ;) but still no baby. She isolates herself from the herd, doesnt even want to be in with them but still no baby!!!!! grrr is this normal?????? Shes a first freshener. Im starting to worry a little. :he

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you are that worried, you could always call a vet or lube up and go in yourself to see if anything is going on. Is she off feed or anything like that? Does she have a temp?

Blue Dog Farms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She definatly has an appetite and no fever. Im just worried that she lost her plug so long ago.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
She's probably fine. If she's eatin', poopin', peein', etc. ok....then it's just DOE CODE.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
She may have lost part of the plug too and not all of it, but even if she lost the whole thing, it just means the opening to her cervix is no longer sealed up. I would imagine that it is like in humans where a woman can lose the plug and even have her cervix be dialated a bit but still be weeks away from labor. I agree, though, call a vet if you are worried and want to put you mind at ease or if you start seeing signs that something is off.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bet your fine....relax...breath....probably fine....my friends doe that just had her kid yesterday lost her plug goo like a MONTH ago! Got a call "we're having babies!" I said no...go check your calendar...dates ALL wrong....and sure enough...no baby for a month....but she sure did make some ucky drippy goo like it was any day now!

now...go breath...relax....could be any day now...or next week...don't let the goat know you are waiting though...she'll hold out and kid when you aren't looking if you do!

Blue Dog Farms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks! I guess this is what I get for assuming I was safe to keep my bucklings with my herd and just "watch" them. Lesson learned. I cant wait to see what she gives me though. :clap

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hmm, I almost hate to tell you this, but I would go get her checked and this is why. We have a couple pregnant does, not sure how far along. I have one that wasnt very big, had kidded before, and dropped her plug yesterday. The last three days she has been a loner and not eating anything but hay. We seperated her yesterday and she was calm, but stressed, you could see her close her eyes during contractions, spent most of her time lying on the ground. I came back an hour later and one kid delivered, one was passing. She was lying down , not pushing and the kids were lifeless. I believe she went early and they werent ready. First because she was so small, but moreso because they looked under developed, not fully furred, tongues were loosely hanging out, no respirations whatsoever and eyes stuck shut....and their hearts were beating strong and regular for hours. This is the first time we have ever had any kidding issues. We dont believe in involvement of the birthing of any of our animals, that the mothers are instinctual and capable.
Nothing I could have done here anyway.
I am not sure how close to human experiences goats are but I also think her water broke early
If anyone has any other thoughts i would love to here, but in the meantime, prepare for the possiblity

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
She's probably fine. If she's eatin', poopin', peein', etc. ok....then it's just DOE CODE.
Not had any baby goats yet, but have been around horses and cows. I agree with Rolls. Our first goat birth is 50 days away.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bryannjamie said:
Hmm, I almost hate to tell you this, but I would go get her checked and this is why. We have a couple pregnant does, not sure how far along. I have one that wasnt very big, had kidded before, and dropped her plug yesterday. The last three days she has been a loner and not eating anything but hay. We seperated her yesterday and she was calm, but stressed, you could see her close her eyes during contractions, spent most of her time lying on the ground. I came back an hour later and one kid delivered, one was passing. She was lying down , not pushing and the kids were lifeless. I believe she went early and they werent ready. First because she was so small, but moreso because they looked under developed, not fully furred, tongues were loosely hanging out, no respirations whatsoever and eyes stuck shut....and their hearts were beating strong and regular for hours. This is the first time we have ever had any kidding issues. We dont believe in involvement of the birthing of any of our animals, that the mothers are instinctual and capable.
Nothing I could have done here anyway.
I am not sure how close to human experiences goats are but I also think her water broke early
If anyone has any other thoughts i would love to here, but in the meantime, prepare for the possiblity
abortions 2 to 3 weeks early are not that uncommon in livestock. Sounds like yours aborted right about 3 weeks early.